I Put a Spell on You

Edward

The look between them would likely melt titanium. Bella never looked hotter. I internally rolled my eyes at the direction of my thoughts, but I was a man. A prickle of fear went through me a few seconds later.

Angela had been practicing magic for a lot longer than Bella. That did not bode well with me. She was capable of anything, so I didn't blame Bella for refusing to have Angela recite the spell. It actually made a lot of sense and I was happy that she had thought it through.

"Ladies," I said as smoothly as possible. "I think it's logical for Bella to do the spell, considering she's basically Beverly's counterpart."

Angela's eyes snapped to mine and that all-consuming hate flushed through my system. It had been there, somewhere in the back of mind, since seeing her weeks earlier. And it grew more potent when I heard her voice, causing the little hairs on the back of neck to rise in disgust. Venom tried to spill from my mouth in a verbal spew of downright ugliness I wasn't sure she deserved. I held myself in check, my hands clenched at my sides as I gritted my teeth.

The only thing that soothed the dammed emotion up was the touch of Bella's hand on my shoulder. I sighed and nodded, silently thanking her. Angela cocked a slim eyebrow and smirked. I had to wonder if she enjoyed voyeurism or the fact I hated her.

Then again, I remembered her feelings toward me. Cursed to love me or not, she was not someone I could ever trust.

"Okay, Bella," Angela said in sweet tone. "We'll do things your way. On one condition."

"No," she replied, crossing her arms over her chest.

Angela smiled and took a few steps toward my fiancée. "You need me," she stated firmly. "If I leave, the curse can't be broken. You need my DNA for this work."

Bella smiled and lifted a small baggie from her pocket. "Done." Angela's eyes narrowed at the contents inside, a few strands of dark hair. "It's surprisingly easy to find someone willing to see a palm reader and leave dissatisfied with a handful of your hair."

Angela's eyes widened as she lunged toward Bella. I wrapped my arm around her waist, as she screeched for me to let her go. Bella looked prepared to strike Angela in a heartbeat if I released her.

"Calm the fuck down, or your ass is leaving," I growled. "I'll gladly throw you out of here myself." I settled Angela on her feet behind me, keeping myself as a barrier between the two women. I turned toward Bella. "Even I know that was unnecessary, baby."

"I had to do whatever I could do to protect ourselves against her."

"I want this over as much as you do," Angela spat.

"And yet, you have conditions," Bella retorted.

"Then why the fuck am I here?"

"I need you here, just in case I'm doing something wrong," Bella stated easily. "But make no mistake, Angela. I'm protecting what's mine." Her hand curled possessively around my arm, sending a hot little shiver down my spine. "That's why we're adding a special ingredient to the mix." She pointed to a bottle on the table.

"To get rid of the DNA samples after?" Angela asked. Bella nodded in response.

I was completely out of my realm on whatever they were talking about, but they seemed to have come to an understanding. If it meant they wouldn't go for each other's throats while there was a sharp dagger nearby, I was okay with it.

"Let's get started," I said, pulling Bella along to put some distance between her and Angela.

"What did you want anyway?" Bella asked, her damn curiosity getting the best of her.