9. Ice Water

"They were taken?!"

I flinched at the loudness of Ivan's voice that came from my ear piece, ironically, the only pure black one out of the group members. I think Kallie heard the doctor scream at me, considering she had inched away a measurable distance from me. I didn't blame her though. I was still confused as to how I could impale those dudes with nothing but my feet. Kallie was confused about the location of everyone and everything. For all she knew, she was some shape shifter who was lost and couldn't meet the team under better circumstances. Meanwhile I had more problems. Kyle, Woody, and Will were nowhere near being cured, and four of the Immune Squad members were captured.

"Come back to the base once you find the North American member," Doctor Ivan instructed.

"I-I...I" I stuttered and glared at Kallie. To be honest, I wasn't sure if she was even on the light side. Maybe she was an imposter from the Lazarus who was sent to trick us into accepting her.

"Come on man, spit it out," I could hear a joking chuckle in his tone.

"I think I found her."

"Bring her here then!"

"Alright."

I clicked the off button, adjusting the ear piece so that I could still hear the commands and instructions of Doctor Ivan or others at the base. Kallie was still staring at me, blinking profusely out of confusion. I wasn't sure what to do. Should I ask her questions about her origins? If she was an enemy, and not the real sixth member, surely she would've killed or sedated me by now. Then again, Kallie could be one of those who are two steps ahead of everyone, and may try to take advantage of the unknowing base leaders. I've seen those types of movies, where the villain kills everyone when they were all put in one spot. I had to admit, it would be easier that way, but was a teenage girl like Kallie really capable of murdering people out of command from an evil mastermind?

It depends, I suppose. Her innocent behavior could be just an act.

"You're not going to put me under anesthesia, are you?"

"Hell no," I shook my head frantically. "I don't have the guts to do that."

"Huh. You're just like what other stormers say. You really are kind-hearted."

Thanks I guess?

"How old are you?" I suddenly became curious. "You seem young to be a mutant."

"Fifteen."

Fifteen?! Fuck. I feel old.

"You're not part of the enemy...right?" I inched away cautiously.

"What made you think that?"

"You seem so courageous for a girl who discovered her abilities on her own..." I blushed at my stupid statement.

"I'm not," she sadly frowned.

"O-oh. Sorry."

"Should we get to that base?"

"Oh yeah, right."

I kept the young girl right by my side as we began to walk slowly down the dark sidewalks, attempting to stay away from the light of the dim night sky. One hand was placed on the case of the batons, while the other was ready to lash out a punch if someone or someone attempted to protect us. That's when I heard a strange noise. It sounded like growling, and hissing...but...the thing is, it wasn't the type of growl or hiss that a human would make. It kinda sounded like a snake or lizard. Strange, right? My cautious aura disappeared as I became intrigued by the noises, but I still kept my hand close to my stored batons. However, a chill ran up my spine as I felt a slithery feeling at my legs. The sound was more prominent, and I figured out what it was.

Fuck. I know what it is.

"What the fuck?!" Kallie screamed and pointed to my leg.

"Huh?" I looked down.

HOLY SHIT!

"Is that a snake?!" I shrieked and began to jump around in an attempt to get it off my leg.

"Ahh!" Kallie screamed once more.

As she became panicked, her left hand disintegrated into water and shot out, and nearly splashed against my face. I shut my eyes and tried to shield the splash, and I felt the icy water drip against my arms and to my legs. Suddenly, all the weight went away. My foot felt fucking cold from the water, but once I opened my eyes and worriedly glared down, only to see that the massive viper was gone and a yellowish-green puddle lingering at my shoes. I looked back up to see Kallie standing back in terror of what happened, staring fearfully at her regenerating hand. I realized she was no ordinary shape shifter like Clayface. Kallie could dismember her body parts to become whatever her body could turn into during a tight situation. Humans had to ability to freeze, fight, or flight, and given the fact Kallie's no ordinary person, her body must've adapted and produced anything to do with ice to protect herself.

"We have to go. Now." I took Kallie by her small hand and ran.

We might have a way to defend ourselves without getting a sigle scratch.