Forty Four

The bond between siblings, now I finally understand. It’s one hell of a bond and it could break you.

Soundtrack: Bring Me Back To Life by Extreme Music

I couldn’t talk. It felt like I ran out of breath hearing that name.

“Eran.” I whispered and it made my heart sink. Kung gaano ako nasaktan ng malamang ako ang dahilan kung bakit ganun si Storm, mas nadoble pa iyon nang marinig ko ang pangalang Eran.

My knees weakened, my limbs were noodles in a boiling water. Uno must have noticed the effect of the name on me for she smirked.

“Poor boy. My twin brother isn’t here to play Kuya on you. I pity you.” Iiling iling niyang sambit habang nakangisi. “Even if you scream bloody murder here, Etherious won’t come to rescue you. That’s what happens when kids don’t have their big brother. They go weak like a building with no foundation, about to collapse.”

She’s still leaning on her race car, arms crossed over her chest. That knowing smirk wouldn’t leave her pretty face. Habang nakatayo lang akong parang estatwa at sinusubukang intindihin ang mga bagay bagay.

“How did you know?” I whispered, my voice so weak. I tried regaining my composure by meeting her eyes, as brave as I could.

“How did you know that I don’t remember everything, Uno?” I demanded loud enough to be heard. Nagkibit balikat lamang siya at para bang sinasadyang mag maang maangan.

“I just know. Maybe you can try figuring it out. Or you can ask my twin brother the main reason why. Or maybe my cousins who are hell bent on going against me just so they could protect you.” Her smug expression could win an Oscars. Nakatayo lang ako sa harap niya at parang tangang pinagtatagpi ang lahat.

That’s when it hit me.

We are just protecting you.” Adelaide said.

“Saying sorry for lying to you is like apologizing for protecting you.”

My fist clenched, angry at the thought that they lied to me again. I told them that I remember everything. Felony, the Troikas and even Adelaide. Sinabi kong naaalala ko na lahat at wala silang ibang ginawa kundi ang humingi ng tawad. But they are conditioning me, trying to make me think that I actually remember everything when in fact, I really don’t.

They know that I don’t.

Uno must have noticed my confusion, with my brows creased and my clenched fist.

“I am here, Sage Eros.” Naglakad siya papalapit sa akin. Mula sa galit na ekspresyon ay nagbago ang mukha niya. Her face softened, like a big sister about to console her crying sibling. But I know better that she doesn’t see me as a sibling but a disgusting insect she badly want to crush.

“I can give you the truth that they are taking away from you. I can set you free from the lies that they tied you with.” She stopped few feet away.
“Just agree to my terms.”

This is a game.

This is a game that she’s playing and I am already on the losing side since the beginning. The look in her eyes was clear enough that she badly wants to torment me and she’ll stop at no point. All this time, Uno is like death chasing me. She was a deadly predator that lets no one escape but surprisingly, I am still alive. How? Because I keep dodging her. Because her own family is protecting me and she can’t prey on me with her brother guarding me. With her cousins watching my back. And that’s how I’ll end up completely defeated.

Tormented and broken.

They don’t want me to remember. They don’t want me to understand.
That has to stop. Me being guarded and treated like a wounded crow. Me being everyone’s responsibility as if I cannot handle my own pain. It must stop.