Chapter 3

(FIRST PERSON)

 My head was spinning.

All the events of today are starting to close in on me.

I killed ten people........

What have I done? I don't blame anyone for my actions, for God's sake I wanted to kill those murderers. But now I'm no better than they are and the fact that Ebele is telling me I'm some folklore that's supposed to save lives makes the nausea twist my nerves.

I'm waiting nervously for Amara to return with clothes. It's time for me to face my consequences for my actions. I wonder why it's the U.N. and not the same men that attacked from earlier. But one thing is for certain, I will not leave until they let the villagers get out of here with safe passage. They'll have to shoot me first and still then they'll be screwed because I’ll just heal.

"Calm yourself child. Do not let them scare you." Ebele whispered to me.

Amara rushed in handing me the clothes she salvaged.

"They didn't get to my hut?" it's a bit too early to say it's good luck.

"No." She breathed.

I quickly put on my undergarments then the black hiking pants that were a bit snug. Amara set my hiking boots that I was wearing earlier down next to the woven chair, "Where did you get those?" I bite out. I didn't mean to come off harsh, but I was afraid of the answer. My watchful gaze never leaving hers.

She looked down at her feet refusing to make eye contact, "Near the body of a dead man." she replied.

I swallowed, "I'm sorry I....."

"Child there isn't much time." Ebele butted in. Amara gave me a knowing nod with a small smile. I quickly put on the white tank top and slipped on my worn in boots.

Breathe in.

Breathe out.

Breathe in.

Breathe out.

I void myself of all emotion as I walk out into the unknown. Everything around me seems to be in slow motion. I can see the villagers gathering their dead loved ones. Children, women, men all moving in spite of what happened and coming together. I see the U.N. vehicles and U.N officers swarming around. Jaheem is talking to a man that's around my age with short black hair that's tousled at the top. He's wearing black military pants and a snug black, short sleeved shirt. He has a large military weapon slung over his broad shoulders and a pistol holstered on his upper thigh. I can't see his face because his back is to me but he looks to be in good physical shape.

I already hate him.

Jaheem looks in my direction from the corner of his eye and the man turns to see what he is looking at.

Me.

His deep blue eyes glimmer something I do not catch before they shift to an unconcerned gaze. He's a handsome man with a chiseled jaw and a days’ worth of stubble. He has a minor tan like me, which tells me his job isn't exactly indoors.

My slow motion daze stops when those eyes lock onto mine and it’s not because I all of a sudden fall in love with them. It's because they make me sick, I can't bear to look at them. But I am no coward. If I'm going to be punished for what I did, fine. But they will not remember me as the girl who couldn't handle it. Even if inside those eyes have evoked my biggest fear of all, they will never know it.

Ebele stands by my side as we approach them, "Jenna Handkens, I'm gonna have to ask you to turn around and put your hands behind your back." His deep voice reverberated through my skeleton. 'Do as he says Jenna.' My she-wolf reasoned. But my lioness stayed silent......weird.