Chapter 4

It has been about an hour and half since we left the village behind and the only thing that's left of the granola bar is the wrapper.

I have a heavy heart that is constantly being fed by the doubt and guilt surrounding my head. My ears burn and my body is humming in pain from all the tension I've put my muscles through. This is what I get for going dark side. Being the lioness comes with a price. People die and I'm left with the aftermath.

Not her, me.

I see the vast dessert start to turn into market areas and soon we reach the paved road that leads us to the city. I can feel my blood still simmering from the shifting-high and the nervous feeling I'm getting doesn't help. I can feel everything around me as my senses get heightened. My ears catch the sporadic beating of hearts. The two soldiers upfront that are definitely playing it calm on the outside aren't doing such a good job on the inside. The smell of their blood rushing through their veins makes me cringe.

"Can you please put the cuffs back on?" The smell was making me sick.

"Well, damn. Looks like princess likes being a prisoner." He cocked an eye brow. His heart beat was as calm as it could be. It paced in slow beats and I could hardly smell his flowing blood. I tuned out the other two and focused on his. The tender beats eventually became my own as I felt the nausea subside.

After a few minutes I sighed in relief, "Your friends are terrified of me. I caused enough fear today."

The soldier in the passenger seat tensed and my focus on the one beside of me glitches. The soldier’s heart beat became more erratic. “Jackson, put the damn cuffs on.” He cringed.

Jackson’s face scrunched up in confusion, I closed my eyes tight. I knew they would start to glow so I did everything to fight it off. “Okay, okay calm down.” He finally replied. I heard the chinking sound of the metal and with my eyes still shut, I put my wrists out for him to cuff. “What the hell? Open your eyes woman, this isn’t your death sentence.” He joked.

“The heart beats! Make it stop!” I yelled. I couldn’t take it anymore, the sensory overload was too much.

“What are you talking about?” This time he was serious. Then I felt his warm hands touch my outstretched ones as he guided them to my lap. He slid closer to me and I could feel his body’s warmth. “Talk to me.” He demanded.

“Jackson put those cuffs on her! Now! Did you not see what she did to those men?” the soldier’s voice was distant as Jackson’s heart beat began to echo through my body. I was very aware of him.

This is dangerous.

Very dangerous.

“HOLD ON, DAMMIT” He cursed at the soldier. The beat temporarily quickened but immediately went back to its normal state when I felt his hands on mine again. His voice was gentle when he spoke, “Jenna, I’m gonna put the cuffs on you. Okay, sweetheart” I nodded slowly as I felt him let go of my hands and grab the cuffs. He put them on quickly. "Open your eyes." he insisted.