Chapter 13

(Third Person)

 Pippa wrapped her arms around Jenna which snapped her out of her conflicted stare into Jackson's confused eyes. She looked down at Pippa's tiny frame and how she held her tight like a life line. "What's wrong Pippa?" she asked even though she knew the answer.

"Nothing. Absolutely nothing.” she replied as she released her hold around Jenna's waist and beamed at her.

"Alright, that's enough one on one training. It’s time for you to meet the Recon team. You'll be shipped out with those guys for almost every mission you go out on. There's only a total of eight on the team, including you. You won't start training with them just yet, I have one more thing I want you and Jackson to do before you join the team officially. But beware, those boys act like teenagers when their around women and they aren't aware just yet of your," he paused, searching for the right words, "abilities."

"What about, Ethan." Jackson bite out his name with distaste.

"Ethan may be an ass but he knows the boys have seen too much go awry to just listen to one person's allegation. Not even his partner would believe him. So he'll leave that subject alone, he'll still be licking his wounds when you guys get there." he turned to Jenna with warning, "But that doesn't mean he won't do anything to provoke you so don't leave Jackson's side."

"I don't need a babysitter." her pride overriding her commonsense.

"I am very aware of that, Jenna. But you said it yourself, you will do anything to keep us safe. So let him return the favor." he pointed out.

She looked at Jackson who kept his eyes trained on her and for a split second she could see a glimmer of protectiveness. This time it was over her and she wasn't sure if she liked the idea of letting him have a little control of what she’s doing. But deep down inside she could feel exactly what he was feeling. It was a curse to be able to feel the emotions of a complete stranger. Her feeling someone’s emotions is something that she can feel only when her own emotions don’t interfere.  But this stranger has just declared he would die for her as well, if it was needed and he didn’t have to say a thing.

Not a word.

She could just feel it.

Even though she knew he would never say it aloud she knew it deep in her heart. That was enough for her to let go of her pride for just this one time and let someone else for a change, protect her.

"Okay." she complied.

Jackson looked stunned at her sudden disposition. She started towards the double door that led out into the hallway. He started to fall behind her before he felt a slight pressure catch the top of his arm. He turned to see a worried Snyder holding him in place, "Don't you let her out of your sight, do you understand?" he whispered. Pippa stood there frozen staring at the two.

"Yes, sir." he replied like a good soldier.

Snyder simply nodded and released his gentle hold around Jackson's arm. Jackson returned the nod with a determined look and exited the room to catch up with Jenna, who was already outside waiting in the hallway.

"Do you really think Ethan would try something?" Pippa asked as they both watched the double doors close behind Jackson.

"I dunno, dear. But I don't want to take any chances." He felt the worry build as he continued to stare at the doors.

"You know, I took a look in her file to make sure there weren't any health concerns that I should be aware of." Pippa said turning to Snyder.

"And what did you see?" he replied meeting her gaze.