Chapter 27: Nirvana to the Rescue

Nirvana Evans

River needed me. That was all that was in my head right now. I knew where he was, at one of the fanciest restaurants in our small town, and I was willing to get my butt out of the house to pick him up. There was only one inconvenience; transportation. I didn’t own a car-heck I didn’t even have a real license yet- and it was too long of a distance to walk.

I slipped my sneakers on anyway as I pondered my limited options. I could always ask my dad for the car since it was the weekend but I doubted very much he’d trust me with it. He had said he wouldn’t let me drive it until I got my permit. After I’d gotten that he had changed his deal and claimed he would only let me drive it when I got the actual license. Yeah right. He was just putting up excuses and frankly the fact that I was one of the unfortunate few in my senior class who couldn’t drive yet had never really bothered me that much, until now.

My mother had a car as well but she was out with some friends at the movies. She had said something about a ‘girl’s night out’ before parting. More like a bored housewife’s night out…

So, in conclusion, asking dad for the car was ruled out. Walking was also out of the question. The only friend I knew who did own a car was currently mad at me for some unknown reason and I didn’t posses the ability to fly. Yep, I was pretty much stuck at the moment.

It was then I remembered there was an old bike in our garage. Bingo! That was my answer.

“Dad I’m going out for a bit I’ll be back soon,” I called to my dad as I made my way outside. I heard him mutter an ‘okay’ of approval over the sound of the T.V and left.

I quickly rushed to the garage and rolled the bike out. The sun had already set and it was a bit dark outside but I parked the bike by the streetlight and managed to get a good view of it. To be honest I kind of regretted it as soon as I noticed the bike in detail. It was old-like ancient prehistoric dinosaur time (it even looked a bit like a dinosaur)- and a little rusty. It was painted a bright green color that had faded a bit over time and had a big embarrassing bell attached to the handle bar. 

All in all it looked like something out of a black and white corny T.V show from the 50’s. Like the type of bike my grandma would use. It even had a basket to top off the look. It wasn’t the coolest or most practical ride around but it would have to do. I think it used to belong to my mom when she was around my age and was into biking. It was a shock that we still had it. People in my family weren’t very athletic.

Without thinking too much about the odd bike I hoped on and rode away. All the streetlights were on now and everything was quiet.

I should’ve brought my iPod, I thought to myself as I continued to peddle. A car zoomed by and I inched towards my right some more. Ten minutes into ridding and I was already feeling the ache in my legs. I was out of breath as if I’d run a whole marathon, sweat was dripping down my forehead and I was quite exhausted. Even more exhausted than a grandma at an old age home after walking a mile. Remember when I said people in my family weren’t athletic? Well that included me also. Exercise and myself went together as well as oil and water did.

So when I finally arrived at the restaurant you could tell I was ready to collapse on a comfy bed and never wake up. I parked the bike and leaned it against a poll. I bent down with my hands on my knees and tried to catch my breath.

“Ana? Are you okay?” I looked up when I heard the familiar voice. I spotted River sitting down on the curb of the sidewalk in front of the place. He quickly got up and walked over to my side.

“I should…be…asking you that…question,” I gasped while regaining back a steady flow of oxygen.

“Did you ride all the way over here?” he asked in astonishment. I nodded and straightened up.