Chapter Seventeen:

Chapter Seventeen:

The darkness screamed, a loud ear piercing sound that tried to shatter my ear drums. It reminded me of someone dragging their claws across a chalk board. In other words, it wasn’t exactly pleasant.

A large portion of the earth had ripped up from the ground, under my command, and continuously pounded against the dark barrier. Inuyasha’s sword and my earth were the only things the darkness couldn’t stand it seemed, the only thing it couldn’t or didn’t know how to fight.

The darkness continued to shriek and wail, anything to distract us from shattering it.

We watched, impatiently, as the barrier started to splinter. The wailing became louder, desperate shrieks, and I had to fight the urge to cover my ears. The cracks grew bigger until finally, with a sickening snap, the shield shattered. The lacey darkness fell to the earth in small sharp pieces and seemed to seep into the ground, like dark black blood.

I smiled in victory and lowered my hands, the rock returning to the earth. Inuyasha lowered his sword, smiling with overconfidence. I rolled my eyes.

“Alright. Onwards!!!” I started forwards in the cave. It was dark and quiet. Too quiet. Kagome coughed quietly behind us.

A few more feet and she coughed again. Then Sango coughed. I turned around. Kagome looked pale, Sango and Miroku not to far behind. Without thinking I coughed.

“Don’t breathe the air in.” Sesshomaru commanded.

“Well gee, thanks for waiting until now to tell us.” I grouched, taking in a deep breath so I could hold it. That’s when I saw it.

It was weird reddish purple smoke like stuff, seeping through the walls. I pointed to it, nudging Inuyasha and Sesshomaru so they’d see it. Sesshomaru nodded and hurried us towards the opening on the other end of the tunnel.

I felt the urge to cough. I tried to smother it. I failed.

“Kimi!” I fell to the ground, my body rocking and convulsing as I practically hacked up a hair ball. I couldn’t stop coughing, like I had swallowed something the wrong way. Inuyasha picked me up, covering my mouth and nose with his robe. Kagome collapsed next, coughing her own lungs up.

“We’ve got to get out of here!”

“I told you not to breathe!” Sesshomaru snapped, grabbing Lili and running towards the exit. Inuyasha was right behind him, me hacking up my left lung in his arms.

We came out of the tunnel part and into a larger area with two different turn offs at the other end. Sesshomaru set Lili down, making sure she was okay before rushing to me. Koga, Sango, Miroku, and Kagome rushed in behind us.

“Breathe, Kimi, breathe. Come on. Deep breaths.” Inuyasha set me down and held my face in his hands while Koga started to lightly hit my back. I coughed a little harder and tried to breathe, gasping in air in little pants.