03 | at the pub

the nelson's arms was heaving with shell suited couples, and the beer garden was full other children clambering around a multicoloured climbing frame and sliding down the enormous red tongue of a large plastic clown's head

james put a round of drinks down on the table and sat down.

"cheers," he said, holding his pint out to Kirsty's white wine and william's guinness. "here's to a cracking holiday."

"hear! hear!" said kirsty.

"and here's to our william finally offloading his sodding cherry. with any luck."

"james!"

"well, what was the point of going through all that pain and suffering if you're not going to make the most of it? you haven't got for ever, you know. you're nearly nineteen, you're on holiday and you're surrounded by gorgeous women. go for it!"

william looked around the pub in most disgust, as the married couples and lardy teenage girls wearing cheap chelsea girl tops and stonewashed denim jeans. he threw james a withering look. "gorgeous women?" he said. "where?"

"oh, the night is young. it's not even six o'clock yet. you never know who might turn up."

"james, mate, this isn't st tropez. gorgeous women are not attracted by the bright lights of hunstanton pier."

"oh, I don't know," he said picking up his pint and winking at kirsty. "what about that lass next door?"

william felt himself flush, and buried his face in his guinness. "what lass?"

"you know what lass. that pale, winsome thing in the crucifix and all the black clobber on. you know."

"what - that girl from geoff and diane's caravan?"

"aye that's the one. she looks right up your street. looks like she'll be into that awful music you like. and she had a nice pair of legs on her, too. did you see her, k?" james turned to his wife. she shook her head and laughed.

"well, whatever, she was a cracker, and she looked like she was up for the job."

"oh, james, leave him alone," kirsty chastised affectionately.

"yeah, james - leave me alone," said william. but he was feigning indignation because the truth was that he didn't really mind james ribbing him. it was the nature of their relationship and had been ever since james had first come into his life, when william was fourteen years old.