18 | she's back

"what!"

"seriously. you've got to find her and talk to her and find out why she left."

"iris," william said, getting to his feet and running his fingers through his hair, "i appreciate your enthusiasm and everything, i really do, but it's nearly midnight, this is a totally stupid conversation and i'm going to bed."

"no! we've got to make a plan! we've got to find noora saetre! we've got to - madeleine!" they both turned at the familiar sound of the cat flap creaking open.

"madeleine! you're home!" iris suddenly dropped the note she'd been waving in the air and flew towards the back door. scooping up an indifferent-looking madeleine and holding her aloft. "oh, god, where've you been you bad girl?" we've been so worried about you."

william raised an eyebrow at his unfounded inclusion in this statement of concern.

he retrieved the rain-spattered little note from the middle of the kitchen table and quietly slunk out of the kitchen, making his escape while the irresistible iris' attention was focused elsewhere.

he felt totally drained as he slipped under his duvet a few minutes later. if only the ridiculous cat hadn't gone missing he'd have been able to redeem a truly crap day by watching a video, downing a couple of beers and having an early night. as it was he felt like his ego had been pulled through a mangle, bottom first. not only had he suddenly been made to realise that he was a total dullard and a source of great disappointment to every woman he'd ever met.

he has memories of having his heart ripped out of his chest. humiliating memories of giving his entire self to another person for the first time in his life and having it returned to him that next morning, like a shirt that didn't fit.

as he lay in bed, torturing himself with negative thoughts, his door slowly opened and a shaft of light fell across his duvet. there was then a gentle thud and crackle of cotton as something landed on his bed, followed by a loud and contented purr that rippled through the darkness like aural bubbles. and even though william didn't share iris' enthusiasm for the creature, in his current state of emotional delicacy he couldn't help but take comfort from the fact that tonight, for the very first time, madeleine had chosen to favour him with her nocturnal presence.