10 | i love you

they walked back across dry, shorn fields and dark, empty country roads

they walked back across dry, shorn fields and dark, empty country roads. noora felt raw and used between her thighs, like she'd been riding a very big horse all day. her face was taunt with dried saliva, and her mouth was sore and felt twice its normal size. william had his arm around her shoulders, and she had her arm around his waist.

her knees had given way when she'd first tried to stand upright a few minutes ago. gone like jelly. collapsed to her knees in hysterical giggles. william had pulled her back to her feet, wrapped her in his arms and kissed her again.

she'd done it. they'd done it. done everything in fact. they'd both wanted to try everything, everything they'd never done before.

"can we do that again tomorrow?" she said, squeezing his waist.

"yeah," said william, "why not? and how about the day after?"

"definitely. of course, we'll have to do it on tuesday because it's your birthday."

"of course. i have to get my birthday shag. it's a tradition."

she laughed. "and then - after this, after hunstanton - can we do it in colchester?"

"uh-huh. and enfield."

"oh, yes - enfield. i've always wanted to do it in enfield."

"i think we should just do it for ever. you know, just keep doing it, indefinitely. everywhere. travel the world, just doing it. nonstop."

she nodded and squeezed his waist again. he suddenly stopped and turned her towards him and looked at her really intensely for a moment.

"you know that was the best thing that ever happened to me, don't you?"

she smiled. "me too."

"and, when i said that i thought i was falling in love with you, back there, i wasn't just saying that because - you know - because of what was happening, because i thought it was what you'd want to hear. i said it because... i am. completely."

noora smiled. all those years, all the pain, the overdose, the hospital, losing her place at bristol, all those years of existing without being - all of it faded away into meaninglessness. she'd started to leave that girl behind the minute she first set eyes on william.

"are you really?"

"totally. i mean it."

and then noora told him that she loved him, too. and for the first time in her life, she meant it.