Birth Of a Fangirl

My first celebrity love was the actor Corey Haim. And if you don't know who he was, then you're not living right and you've missed out on some of the best movies from the 80's. God rest his beautiful tortured soul. I had his posters plastered on one of my bedroom walls. Yes, just one wall. But when I fell in love with my first boyband, those posters of Corey eventually became overshadowed by hundreds of New Kids On The Block posters, which ended up covering the other three walls, plus both sides of my door.

It was at a friend's birthday party in which I was dragged into this world that only a fellow fangirl can understand and appreciate. We were just chilling in her living room, shooting the breeze as preteens do (lolz), with the television tuned to MTV, so there were music videos playing in the background. That was when MTV actually used to show MUSIC VIDEOS practically 24/7. Man, those were the days.

Anyway, this slow song started playing and a couple of the girls got all googly eyed and started squealing. I had no idea what had caused these girls to go all gooey. (My family didn't have cable TV at the time, so I was out of the loop.) But one glance at the video playing on the screen was all it took for me to turn to mush, too. There he was, in that bandaid tank top, backwards snapback, and the longest rat tail I'd ever seen, singing in a perfect falsetto: Jordan Nathaniel Marcel Knight. I was in love. I mean, look at him. Perfection.

Prior to that moment, I had never heard of New Kids On The Block

Prior to that moment, I had never heard of New Kids On The Block. I asked no one in particular, "Who is that?!" I don't even remember if anyone answered me, but soon enough, I knew every single detail about all five members of the group that was singing Please Don't Go Girl on that fateful day.

As my obsession developed, my mom, bless her heart, bought me every magazine I laid eyes on in Walmart: Bop, Tiger Beat, Big Bopper, etc. You name it, I had it. And every New Kids poster in them ended up on my walls, completely covering every trace of the giant Cabbage Patch Kids mural my step father had painted for me.

Bye bye baby dolls, I'm a big girl now.