The Main Event (Round 2)

6/7/15 Louisville, KY

Yes, I had just seen the same show 11 days earlier. But if NKOTB is that close to me, there's not much that can keep me away. After those Top Shelf tickets were secured during the presale, I immediately bought the Louisville tickets for myself, my friend, Simona, and my daughter. The tickets I bought were 2nd row to the side of one of the smaller stages, where the band was. However, that's not where we ended up.

For still some unknown reason (the venue blamed it on the tour people), several seats were changed. We ended up behind the band, still technically 2nd row, but there was no one in front of us because the first row didn't extend the entire length of the section. And the guys came from backstage down the aisle at the end of our section. Sounds great, right? Wrong.

We were behind the mix area and they had allowed several 'vip' inside the barrier. And of course these VIPs were freaking giants. So for the Nelly and TLC's sets, we couldn't see crap. I was so pissed. They were the worst seats I'd ever had for a New Kids show since the reunion. I nearly cried venting about it on Twitter during the show, not really paying a bit of attention to the opening acts. Not that I could see them anyway. And my poor daughter was upset, too, because she was just nine, and super short compared to the rest of us.

But by the grace of God, they kicked out all the unnecessary people who were inside the mix area just before NKOTB took the stage. It still sucked donkey balls that we were in that spot, because it was still an obstructed view, but at least then there was only one security guy's head to peer over.

 It still sucked donkey balls that we were in that spot, because it was still an obstructed view, but at least then there was only one security guy's head to peer over

The silver lining of the seat swap is that Molly got noticed by Donnie. The whole two days before the show she kept begging me to help her make a sign for Donnie. I finally had a chance to do it just before we left for the show. Needless to say, it was nothing spectacular. It was just a heart cut out of pink poster board that said, "Donnie's Cover Girl."

If you're not familiar with early NKOTB music, I'll explain. They have a song called Cover Girl on which Donnie sings lead. Ever since they started singing the song live, Donnie has pulled a little girl on stage and sang a few lines to her. Of course, Molly was hoping to get that opportunity. I think they choose the girl beforehand, but I don't know what the trick to getting picked is.

So she held up her little sign every time Donnie was on the catwalk near us, which was only a handful of times. But he didn't notice her, and she didn't get picked to go on stage. Instead, it was a little girl who was probably seven years old, who was two sections down from us, also in the front of the section. Earl, head of NKOTB security, had walked past us all night, and literally stared at Molly almost every time, probably because she was dancing and singing her little heart out. I thought, "Hey, he has been noticing her. Maybe she'll get picked." But she didn't.

And that's okay, because in the end, Molly got the only thing she cared about: She was noticed by Donnie...twice.

During the next to last song, I'll Be Loving You (Forever), this rather rowdy lady beside me asked if she could take Molly up to the barrier, only about 10 feet away, to help her get noticed. I agreed, because I'm not brave enough to break the rules myself.

When they got up there, this man, there with his wife, held her up so she'd be more noticeable. Molly was holding up her sign, waving it furiously, trying her best to get noticed, but the guys were too far away. The man sat her back on the floor, and that's when Donnie decided to come down to our end. As soon as he looked our way, several people surrounding Molly started waving and pointing at her so Donnie would see her. And he did. He smiled and waved at her, then blew her a kiss. She ran back to me, jumping and screaming and hugging me, while Donnie watched it all with the biggest smile on his face. I waved at him and mouthed "Thank you" and he waved back and nodded. God bless that man. I swear he has the biggest heart of any person I've met in my entire life. And I'm not exaggerating one bit when I say that.

(It's hard to see him in this picture, but he's between the two guards, right beside the guy's head on the left, waving at Molly

(It's hard to see him in this picture, but he's between the two guards, right beside the guy's head on the left, waving at Molly.)

Then, as the guys were leaving the stage, Donnie descended the stairs, with a beer in hand. First, he went to greet some people on the opposite end. Then he came to our side, waved at us, then as he left, he touched some hands. He then reached for Molly's hand (the man had picked her up again, and she was waving her sign), and held it a couple seconds, shaking it in the air. I got video of it, but it's hard to see. The picture below is a screenshot. They turned the lights out before he got to her, but thanks to the bright pink sign, you can see him holding her hand. I just wish I could have seen her face.

Everyone around us was so excited for her

Everyone around us was so excited for her. And the lady who helped her get over there took a picture of her waving her sign and sent it to me. And someone else posted this picture on Facebook, of the mystery man holding her up. I absolutely love it.

It's times like that when the Blockhead fandom really does seem like a sisterhood

It's times like that when the Blockhead fandom really does seem like a sisterhood. I appreciate each one of them that helped Molly get noticed. It may not sound like a big deal, but to her it was everything.