Step 1. Don't pick up

(Avery's P.O.V)
I laid on my bed for god knows how many hours, just contemplating if I should pick up my phone or not. I kept letting my phone ring and ring. Thankyou Dua Lipa's "New Rules" for helping me through this shitty life.

My phone rings again... and again... and again.

It was Grayson...

(Grayson's P.O.V)
She doesn't pick up anymore. I would do anything to have her back in my arms, but I fucked up. I decided to sleep with the principals daughter.

I hear a knock at my bedroom door.

"Grayson, can I come in darling?"
"Yea.. come in mum." I said with a sad tone.

The door creaks slowly as she opens the door. She walks over to my desk and takes my plate from the night before and replaces it with a fresh plate of food.

"Darling, you are starting to really worry me. You haven't eaten since Avery caught you with Rebecca Jones."
"I'm fine Mum... I'm just not that hungry."

There was a silence between them.

"Alright then, just don't do anything stupid whilst I'm gone. I'll be back in a few hours. Be in bed by 11, Alright?"
"Yeah, see ya Mum."

And off she went. Now to contemplate life.

(Ethan's P.O.V)
Mum went out for dinner with some work colleagues, so now was my time to sneak out. I have no idea what time she will be back so I need to make sure that the guys and Vee don't keep my out too long, although it's normally me keeping them out longer.

I wait 5 minutes before I run out to my car to pick up Jayden and Vee.

I get to the skate rink to find Jayden hitting on Avery.

"Yo Jayden, leave her alone alright? If she's gonna get with anyone, it's definitely not gonna be you" I say with a cheeky grin.
"Fuck you dude" Jayden says trying to control the laughter as he does a soft punch to my arm.
"Anyways Vee, you sure your mum will be alright with you being out so late? It is a Sunday night and you have exa-"
"I'm fine Ethan, don't worry. Anyways as long as I'm back by 11, I'm fine."
"Wait, your curfew was changed?"
"Yea, since I got an A on my last test, she let me stay out later."

God, Why does her smile look so cute.

"That's amazing Vee!  On what subject?"
"You have to promise me, you won't tell anyone."
"I promise."
"And what about lover boy over there?"
"He wouldn't dare break a promise, he's loyal."
"Good..."
"So? What did you get the A in?"
"... Maths"
"Shit, you better be my Tudor if I get stuck." We laugh.

We spent hours just doing dares at the nearby park, it was just a great time. By the time it was 10:30 everyone but me and Avery left. Jayden took a ride home with one of the other guys so that means me and her could just chill out for a bit.

"So... what you want to do now?"

I think of all the possible things we could do, then it hit me. Avery has always wanted to see the ocean at night.

"I have an idea. But you have to close your eyes."
"Fine, but you better not throw me around." She laughs.

About 5 minutes later we got to the beach, and I opened her door. Trying to get out, she started to stumble, and eventually fell into my arm.

"Now take your shoes off."
"What? Why?"
"Do you trust me?"
"... you better not make me step in shit Ethan Grant Dolan."

I just laugh and wait for her to take her shoes off.

"Ok now what?"

(Avery's P.O.V)

He walks me over to what felt like clouds under my feet. He then whispers in my ear;
"Now, open."

I open my eyes and all of a sudden my eyes fill with tears.
"T-Thankyou Ethan"

I then feel his welcoming hug, surround me, and we then walk to the jetty and watch the stars.

With Grayson I could never have deep conversations, I could never speak my mind. I don't think I was ever meant to be with Grayson...

It was Ethan.

20 minutes pass and we walk up to the car so Ethan can drop me off home.

(Ethan's P.O.V)

5 minutes had past. 11pm.

Me and Avery walk to the side of her house, to where her bedroom window is. We start to talk more about how our exams are going, not realising that they had been talking for another 10 minutes.

"Ok, ok, I need to get to my room, I have to get to sl-"
"Shhh, your Mum will hear" I say with a cheeky grin.
Avery then mimicked how I talked whilst walking backwards so she could do a run up.

"What are you doing?"
"Doing a run up."
"Your not gonna make it Vee..."
"That's why you're here, launch me up in 3"
"noooo"
"2"
"Nononono"
"1"

She ran up and started to climb the wall, but I quickly grabbed her leg and launched her up. She only just made it through the window without going through the glass.

"Thankyou, you need to hurry back home, your mum might be home already."
"I'll be fine, Vee. Anyways I am driving home. Anyways, I'll see you tomorrow."
"That's only if you actually decide to come." She laughs.
"Yea, Yea" I laugh.
"See you, thankyou Ethan."
"Don't worry about it, See You Vee."

As I start to walk off I hear a car pull up in Avery's driveway.

It was Grayson.

I run back to Avery's window and throw a pebble.

I whisper loudly.
"VEE, QUICK!"

Avery quickly rushes back to the window.
"Dude you need to go home. Your mu-"
"I need you to kiss my cheek"
"What? Why?"
"Unless you want Grayson to chop in with you again, I suggest you do it now."
"What do you mean? Gray-"

I point over to Grayson sitting in his car gaining the balls to say sorry to her.

"Shit... just hurry..."

I grab onto the window seal and do a chin-up to reach Avery, but as Grayson walks around the corner with a bunch of flowers, Vee whispers;
"I have a better idea, I'm so sorry."

She grabs the sides of my face and pulls it towards her face and kisses me right on the lips. Not that I didn't mind that she did, it was just more the shock than anything else. Next thing we hear is the sound of Flowers dropping to the ground.

(Grayson's P.O.V)
I turn around the corner to see a guy with a toned body, kissing Avery. I drop the bouquet of Roses and he has the quickest glance at me and jumps down and bolts. But I didn't pay attention to him. I just stared down at the Roses scattered on the floor. I look back up at Avery and all I hear are her words;

"Go home Grayson."

And she was gone.