5. Trust is a mutant's nemesis.

{5. Trust is a mutant's nemesis}

Dreamer's POV

I wasn't sure how to feel after having that strange conversation with Raven. She was not really what I expected- as a person. She has such a fierce personality and it was evident that her facial muscles rarely exercised the art of smiling. Although I adore her eyes, yellow or brown, that glare she shoots my way has me swallowing back every attempt to warm up to her.

I had told her to trust me, because I'm not dangerous, and in that split second I saw a flicker of confusion. But she composed herself quickly and gave me a humph sound. I don't understand what I did- no- it's not what I did, is it? It's what I am. I'm unnatural. I don't belong among the humans or mutants.

I gulped.

I can't possibly be excluded like this, but what else could explain the way people generally repel from me? I mean Charles is nice but he has to be in order to gain access to my memories. Hank appears friendly, but only because I am scientific spectacle. Same goes for Mr Verite. Wow. I really have no-one who genuinely likes me for me. But at the same time, who am I, as a person? I have only just developed emotions aside from my monotonous and timid nature.

I have shown great desperation and defiance in finding Mr Verite. I have spoken up for myself against the redhead in my Genealogy class. And strange enough, I have explicated attraction towards a male figure who sadly turned out to be Raven in Alex's form. I sighed.

Had I made the right choice to become a part of this school?

I knew it would be hard to integrate into society, as soon as I stepped off the train, as soon as I bumped into someone who I didn't recognise, I knew things were bound to go wrong. But I guess I also saw this as an opportunity, like to breathe in the air I could only conquer in my daydreams.

"Dreamer!" Raven hissed. I blinked away my thoughts and looked at her, stunned. "Are you deaf?"

"Sorry-"

"Look, Charles said that you cannot share a dormitory with the other mutants because your identity is suppose to remain confidential, blah, blah, blah. I'm going to show you to your room. We have a curfew for you, you cannot leave your room past ten thirty. Got it?" She raised a pointed eyebrow at me. I nodded vigorously. Being complaint was what I was subjected to all my life. Rules won't be too hard for me to follow.

I trailed behind Raven until we reached a vast bedroom with regal furniture. It was beautiful and definitely something I am not accustomed to. Everything just seemed so comfy and inviting. I beamed. I could get used to this.

"There's a bathroom and a mini fridge with drinks and snacks. If you need anything there's a phone that directs you to Charles, Erik, Hank or me. But for future reference, do not call me in case of an emergency." She said but there was no trace of malice.

"Why?" I tentatively asked.

She gave me a look I could not decipher.

"Because," she shrugged. "I could be the culprit." And with that she left.

I stared at the locked door for a moment and shook my head. I couldn't understand Raven. She makes me want to question her motives but I know it's futile to demand anything from Raven other than a friendlier tone. I sighed again. Well, I have this place to myself now. Shouldn't be too bad.

*

Charles' POV

Once Raven had exited with Dreamer and Hank followed out afterwards, I was left with Erik. I noticed, almost immediately that something was different about him. I could tell it was about Dreamer, he seemed enthusiastic enough to help fill out the paperwork at the New York ME, but something changed. He couldn't possibly have second thoughts about this girl. She's important.