9. I specifically liked the Diamond Lady

{9. I specifically liked the Diamond Lady}

Professor X's POV

When I arrived at the embassy I had noticed that New York had been plastered with the face of Dreamer. The print was black and white though so it was difficult to determine her eye colour. I grabbed a flyer and shoved it deep into my coat pocket and stormed into Mr Verite's office.

It was clotted with a heap of paperwork. It actually resembled my own office at the Xmansion but I make no obvious comment. Mr Verite appeared to greet me in his usual black linen suit and slicked back hair. He looked well polished and I respected that, even though he gave off a businessmen vibe than an ambassador for the mutant community.

"I appreciate you for calling me first hand, again." I began. He nodded curtly and seated in his leather chair.

"It's been a hectic week, Charles. We have mutants all over the globe applying specifically for your school, and you know I hand pick them for you. I chose the ones that are in great need of your services," Mr Verite pointed to the largest pile of documents on his table. "They need you," then he pointed to a smaller pile "but they need you more." I can see how this job has him stressed out, perhaps tha why he is all groomed, to hide the distress and weighty burden of turning down applicants. There's many other facilities out there but I am flattered the mutants are looking for me, showing interest in my school.

"I apologise, Mr Verite. But unfortunately the only mutant I have diverted my attention to is Dreamer." I proceeded to unfold the flyer and show him but he immediately scooped up a bunch with an exhausted sigh.

"Dreamer said she was prodigy of Project GEM. I cease to believe her scientist is simply looking for her by making her a missing person. Project GEM was a private establishment. That means whoever sent these flyers out knows about Dreamer and is after her?"

I stared hard at the printed picture of Dreamer. There are always dangerous people out there, wanting something for their own gain. This poor girl has to endure that. I will protect her. Genetically engineered or not.

Mr Verite picked up the phone beside him and started dialling the number provided on the flyer. When it rang, he passed it over to me. I accepted, graciously but I had to admit, I was nervous.

The phone kept ringing until I was about hang up.

"Hello?" I said, waiting for a response as the phone on the other end had picked up.

There was utter silence but I could sense someone standing there holding this phone. I was about to use my powers to tap into their mind when everyhting went static.

I listened for a bit and then put the phone down, disappointed. Mr Verite turned to me, defeated.

"Perhaps, Charles you should return to safeguard Dreamer. I can already tell someone is out there to take her."

*

Dreamer's POV

No way. I can't believe I did that! I caught a glimpse of Hank's memory? Nightmare? I am still shocked and undecided. After all this time I finally know what I am capable of. But at the same time, I realised I have intruded into Hank's personal life and I had to apologise. I honestly can't believe the way the humans react to mutants. It's just so selfish of them not to take into account about how they emotionally affect mutants.

"Hank?"

He literally froze when I mentioned Carla. I know it's a touchy subject and he seems to fallen into a state of melancholy. I wave my hands in front of his face. He snapped out of it.