Chapter 10. Happily Ever After

"L-Len?!" Rin choked. "Why?"

"We could have done it, Rin. We could have run away together. Away from those fucking people we call our parents. They wouldn't have been able to touch us again!"

"But, why?!" Tears began to stream down Rin's cheeks.

"Don't tell me you'd rather go back there! I saw them, Rin! It wasn't just me they would hit every day, you too! I HATED IT THERE!! WE COULD HAVE RUN AWAY AND BE TOGETHER!! JUST THE TWO OF US, RIN!! JUST YOU AND ME!!"

"Why did you have to kill the rest of them?! Why Neru too?!"

He sighed. "She wouldn't have come with us anyway." His eyes welled up with tears as he dropped his gaze to the floor. "Rin, I'm sorry. I just wanted to get away..."

"Len..." She approached him and embraced her brother. 

The others heard the sound of a blade sinking into flesh. Len gasped as he staggered back and fell, staring at the knife lodged in his stomach. 

"You freak! You make me sick!!" Rin screamed, kicking his torso, forcing the knife further into his stomach. "Why--did you--kill--them--!?"

"Rin, stop it!!" Kaito grabbed her by the arms and dragged her away from Len's shivering body. 

"LET ME GO!! HE KILLED THEM ALL!! ALL OF THEM!!" She bawled, writhing and trying to break free from Kaito's grasp. "LET ME GO!!"

"Rin..." Len whispered as his vision swirled to black.