Ch.3: Fire

(A/N: I'm trying a little bit of a different writing style.)

~

Never in his life had Roman found fire special. He was always surrounded by it, whether he was bending or lighting a fire to keep warm it never went away.

Roman had been excellent at fire bending for as long as he could remember. It was so easy to make the element move at his own will. Just one flick of his wrist and he could set an entire house on fire.

It was just a normal everyday thing.

So, you could imagine the young man's surprise when he found angry protesters at his door one morning. The impression against bending was becoming worse. It was almost unfathomable.

Sometimes, you could hear the screams and shouts of Earthbenders being threatened on the streets by a mob. Roman blocked it out as best he could. He closed his windows, draped the curtains, locked the doors.

He wouldn't eat for days just for fear he might accidentally slip up and use his bending and burn down a store.

...He eventually decided to leave.

He would get in a train and leave Ba Sing Se for Republic City.

~

He had finally gained the courage to step outside of his home and actually get to the train.

The walk to the station was a long one and it seemed even longer with the suspicious looks he would get from passerbys. It was a usual day for the city. The usual crowded streets filled with shouts and people trying to sell various items from their storefronts.

He took a deep breath tugging on his long cloak that was hiding his fire bending garments. A single strap bag was slung over his shoulder holding the few necessities he was bringing.

Roman had rounded a corner when he saw something that made his blood boil. There was  three men and one woman holding what looked to be a water bender up against the wall.

The guy that was holding him appeared to be shouting something unintelligible and muffled from the distance they were at. Roman, being the righteous and reckless person he was ran forward to try to stop then from harassing the young bender.

"I'd recommend putting him down" Roman fumed feeling his knuckles go white from clenching his fists. The group of men sneered and the girl stepped up in front of them.

"He's scum. This is his punishment." She said nonchalantly. Crossing her arms with a blank expression she blocked Roman's sight of the young bender.

In a fleet of rage and heroics Roman bended a stream of lightning throwing the non-bending girl and one of her lackeys to the ground. They groaned in pain and made a move to get up.

Roman sensing this sent a ball of fire cascading their way. He didn't look back at them and continued on to the other two which were too occupied by the water bender's whimpers to notice Roman. He kicked his leg and the enemies fell to their knees from the impact the wave of heat have them.

The water bender fell with them...

Roman picked up the young male in his arms and made a run for it. Racing to an empty alley sandwiched between a clothes shop and a noodle buffet, he played the bender on the wall.

He looked up at him worried and eyes wide. Then his face changed to one of confusion. He spoke voice hoarse and tired sounding...

"Do you feel that?" Roman stared at him for a few seconds then realized what he meant. There was an odd tugging sensation between them. He hasn't noticed it before but, it was there.

" Yes, I do. " Roman replied. "Are you okay?" The smaller one nodded. I

"My name's Virgil... "

"Roman."