Chapter 2

"Dying?" Barry, Astrid and Cisco repeated in unison.
"What do you mean?" Barry asked Caitlin.
"I mean that when Ronnie and Martin first merged and created Firestorm, the essence that made them individuals was wiped. They need to continue to merge to survive." Caitlin explained as best as she could.

"Then why can't they continue to merge?" Astrid asked.
"When they first merged," Cisco began, "it was due to the meteor shower and projects that were held at Luthor Corp. We would need to recreate the meteor shower and even if we could do that, the research was left back in Smallville and we have no way of getting it back, since we cut ties with Lionel Luthor."

"...Besides, even if we had the research and the meteor shower, we would still risk a very cataclysmic explosion that could wipe out all of Central City." Caitlin added.

Barry stared down at his feet and Astrid could not choose the right words to say to console her friend.

"Caitlin, do you want to go back in there and talk to Ronnie?" Cisco asked her, "we will all come with you, if you like." Caitlin nodded and lead them to the room where Ronnie was laying in the bed in the bay beside Martin Stein.

"Hey, you guys." Ronnie said cheerfully as they entered the room. He seemed fine, despite the circumstance. Martin greeted them from his own bed. His wife was holding his hands in hers.

"So Dr Martin," Caitlin asked him, "Do you have any ideas on how we can make the two of you merge again?" she asked him, desperately.
"Ah, Miss Snow. It is just as I was telling the team over there. We need to be optimistic. If there is something that we can do, I am sure we will figure it out. But I for one, do not wish to risk the lives of this town for the slim chance of being able to merge with Ronald again." Dr Stein told her.

"But the pair of you could DIE! Surely we could ask CCPD to evacuate the city. Astrid! You have standing in this city. You could do something!" Caitlin pleaded with her friend.

Astrid looked at Dr Stein and then the team of scientists who were standing on the far side of the room. Their faces all held the same look of defeat. Astrid knew that evacuating the city for the slim chance of the plan, working was pointless. The mayor would never go with it and it would cause panic throughout the city.

She didn't have the heart to tell Caitlin that she couldn't do it. Her face fell. Cisco and Barry tried to comfort Caitlin as they knew by the look on Astrid's face, just what she was thinking.

"I can't believe you, Astrid!" Caitlin shouted. "I thought you were my friend!" Amidst her fit of anger, Caitlin flung her hand up and a large bolt of ice shot forth, past Astrid's head and smashed some beakers on the shelf behind her. It left the group speechless.

Caitlin's face had changed. Her coloring had gone pale. Upon realizing what she had done, Caitlin brought her hand to her face as she gasped. She turned on her heels and left. Barry went to race after her, but Cisco and Astrid gestured for him not to. "She needs to have a little time to herself." Cisco told him. So Barry stayed put.

Suddenly, the machines by Ronnie and Martin's bedside began sounding, alerting them to the fact that Martin and Ronnie were both having seizures. Clarissa called to the doctors, who rushed over ushering Clarissa, Astrid, Barry and Cisco back out of the room and closed the door behind them.

Clarissa broke down into tears in the waiting area, so Astrid tried to comfort her. Cisco and Barry sat down on the seats, clearly unsure about what to do next.

Suddenly, Barry's phone began to ring. It was Iris and she needed to see him immediately. "I have to..." Barry said looking from Cisco to Astrid.

"Go, Barry. We have this here." Cisco told him.
"We will try to contact Caitlin and let you know if we need your help." Astrid told him. Barry nodded and left in an instant. Clarissa who was still deeply distraught hadn't noticed his exit.