Early Birds and Magic

Waking up early the next morning you looked around the room a little confused when the memories of last night made you smile and jump from the bed in exitment, but squeaked as your feet touched a freezing wooden floor making you jump onto Susan’s bed waking her up “Huhn, five more minutes.” She muttered curling up under her covers as her siamese cat (I made that up I couldn't find if she had a pet or not) looked at you coldly for waking him up as well. “Oh sorry! The floor was colder than I thought.” You whispered pulling her covers up more on her as you got off her bed. Holding in a hiss as you walked along the cool floor boards to the trunk at the end of your bed and quietly put your uniform on you went to the bathroom to finish your morning routine not waking anyone else up. Tip toeing to Bobby's cage you filled up his food dish and grabbed your wand. Leaving your room you walked to the common room and looked around seeing that no one else eas up. Finding a small clock on the fireplace mantle you saw that almost no one would be up this early. Humming as you left you opened the beirle door and heard sounds coming from the kitchen. Making your way over and peaking in you saw small creatures in rags going about making a breakfast feast, to which made you awe at some of them, catching nearly all of their attention. Freezing before smiling at them “Good morning, sorry I didn't mean to interrupt you. I'm an early bird and thought I'd look around when I heard sounds coming from in here.” You said walking in and waving at the elves. As some either nodded going back to work or went about collecting what they needed. Watching as they worked you went up to one and crouched down to talk to her “Excuse me, sorry for asking. But what are you? I'm new to the wizarding world.” You asked as she paused “Dana be a house-elf, miss.” She said turning to you on her small step stool. Nodding “Is Dana your name, if so it's very pretty.” You complemented smiling at her as she seemed to get bashful “Was miss name?” Dana asked playing with her dirty dessert made from an old pillowcase. “Oh, my is (First/Name) (Last/Name)! Say Dana why do you wear this?” You asked looking at her dress. “Dana likes dress! Dana found it in old laundry!” She said happily looking at it as she held the fraying ends. Nodding “Well it's very pretty. And since no one will be up for a while can I help a little bit in here?” You asked standing up and rolling up your sleeves. Seeing the surprise that went through the room “What? I help my mom all the time in the kitchen. Is it not ok?” You ask looking at all the shining green eyes you smiled when Dana handed you a bowl and whisk “Cream needs whipping.” She smiled as you took the bowl and started on whipping it “Maybe when I'm better at magic I can do more than just one thing at a time, huh?” You joked feeling your arm start to hurt after a while. Cutting up fruit “Dana use mind magic. Much easier Dana and others use all time!” She said snapping her fingers making the knife cut the rest of the fruit. Mouth falling open “Wow! Could you teach me how to do that?” You asked putting the bowl down quickly to watch the knife cutting fruit “Dana can't teach! Dana... Dana just house-elf!” She said a bit panicked at your request making the knife cut into the cutting board. “Oh please? If I can learn how to do this maybe I can be of more help when I pop in instead of being able to do only one thing. Please Dana?” You asked putting your hands together and looking at her pleadingly. Watching her turn to others as they either looked away or shrugged, then hearing her hum and sigh as she looked down then at you “No wand magic is hard for human, Dana only saw master do few, few times. If (First/Name) wish to learn…Dana try teach.” She said with a small smile. Gasping happily you scooped her up in a hug “Oh thank you Dana! I promise I'll try my best!” You said happily spinning with the house-elf. Feeling her squirm you stopped and put her down “Sorry! So what should I do first?” You asked as Dana looked about ready to fall over. Shaking her head to get rid of the dizziness “Takes los of focus. Master says best to picture what Master wants do. (First/Name) hold hand up like this and try picture holding whisk up.” Dana said holding up her hand at the tool in the unwipped cream. Doing as told you looked at the wired item and squinted your eyes picturing it stirring the white frothy liquid. Feeling your palm warm and arm shake the whisk twitched making you grin “I made it move! Dana! Look!” You said excitement running through you as you again focused and raised your hand again. Taking a breath you again felt the warming of your palm again only this time stronger and your arm didn't shake as the whisk shook, as you made it stand and making it slowly stir, surprising all nearby house-elf's. “Master says strong witches and wizards can do no wand magic!” One whispered to another. “It takes long time to learn! But she do right now on SECOND TRY!” Another yelled as the house-elf's started to surround you when a chuckle got everyone's attention. Gasping as you turned to see Dumbledore standing at the kitchen doors with a mix of amusement and surprise you dropped the whisk and his your hands being a child in trouble “Miss. (Last/Name), what a surprise to see you here so early in the morning. And even more surprising you're able to use magic without a wand at such a young age? You have great talent and I see you're also talented in getting along with others quite well.” He said as the house-elf's went back to work quickly. Feeling a bit nerves in the Headmaster's present “O-oh um sorry wait thank you. Wait u-m are students not aloud in the kitchen?” You asked falling over your words. Raising his hand “No need to be nerves, I just came in to get a little snack before breakfast and everyone woke up. And seeing as you haven't caused any trouble I don't mind you coming to visit the kitchen. Not at all seems the house-elf's enjoy your company.” Dumbledore said going over and plucking a strawberry up from the table making you smile “What has you up this early sir?” You asked following him out of the kitchen. Turning to you “It's a fine morning and thought I should take the chance to walk around.” Dumbledore said simply, as you  nodded at his words “That sounds fun. Though I'd probably get lost within the first twenty minutes.” You said chuckling “Ah then perhaps a tour is in order? Most students don't get up till six-thirty so there is quite a bit of time to explore.” He said stopping in front of the great hall doors. Smiling at his offer “Really? That would be wonderful, after I know where everything is I can help the others in my grade get around easier!” You said happily nodding at his offer. Seeing him smile as he started showing you around you drew a mental map trying to remember everything and where what classes were.