The quidditch cup

Dedicated to Winona Laura Horowitz

Winona Ryder as Lydia Deetz

LYDIA DEETZ AND THE MYSTERY OF AZKABAN

Chapter 2: The quidditch cup

The dark arts defense classes were very helpful for Hufflepuff, as Lydia and Percy knew perfectly well the multitude of dark creatures, so in each Lupin class he gave them plenty of points.

The same was true of Hagrid's classes, which, although he kept insisting on bringing dangerous creatures every time, did not bother the two newbies at all who asked him if he could bring in darker and more malevolent creatures, it goes without saying that alongside the golden trio (Harry, Hermione and Ron), they were his favorite students and he always awarded them plenty of points. In fact, there were so many points earned in those subjects that for the first time in decades, the Hufflepuff house was leading.

Hermione was not envious of Lydia at all, but was happy that someone else could have not only a superior intellect, but always demonstrated a thirst for learning. Besides being humble, she was also dedicated to helping her classmates in class and beyond, and the best part was that she also had Muggle parents.

Hermione struggled to put Griffindor at the top of the school, but her two friends and twins managed to lose the same number of points.

No, I'm sorry Hermione, my stepmother is Muggle, my mother, however, who died already had magical powers," Lydia said to her one day as they were talking.

"Oh, I'm sorry, Lydia."

"You don't have to, it happened a long time ago."

The girls talked lively and had become friends, for Hermione not only was having someone to represent a challenge, but also liked the company of Lydia and although her friend was not a luminary in academics, knew enough strange magic and magical creatures to earn more points than Hermione, and unlike Harry and Ron, he paid attention in class and was not so rude to talk like the ginger.

Harry also befriended the duo, and confessed to Hermione that what he liked most about Lydia was her voice, it was so pure and crystalline that according to Harry, she could well be a dubbing actress, an opinion that was well shared by both boys and girls.

Ron talked to the duo only out of obligation, still considered Lydia's clothes ridiculous and saw Percy as some kind of circus freak, and for no reason would he allow his pet rat to approach that pair of freaky freaks, especially the cat boy.

The quidditch season came and Hufflepuff lost all his encounters pathetically. Lydia was not bothered by the fact that they lost, but what worried her most was the attitude of the members of her household in assuming each defeat with an attitude as if they didn't care.

"What's the point, everyone is better than us at quidditch."

"Or in any other sport."

Lydia stood on a table in the center of her common room. Percy looked at her slightly worried as her face acquired a harsh beauty and her eyes gleamed from an inner fire that caused the other members of her household to watch her attentively.

"Nowhere in the song... nowhere in the song of the selector hat," said Lydia, as she clenched both fists tightly at her sides. "NOWHERE IN THE SONG, NEITHER THIS YEAR NOR THE PREVIOUS ONES, FOR MORE THAN A THOUSAND YEARS IT SAYS THAT THEY ARE ALL BETTER THAN US!" she shouted furiously. Everyone was watching her and some of the shyest tried to lower their eyes, but Lydia's powerful gaze prevented them from doing so.