| 9 |

the next day, mike had to stay home because of his suspension. he just laid around all day and looked at comics. his parents told him to study, but they both left for work, so mike decided not to. he wondered what el was doing. probably being forced to study too. oh well, at least he'd see her at school the next day.

but he didn't.

*

eleven wasn't at school the next day, or the day after that, or the day after that. she wasn't there for the rest of the week.

maybe she got sick?

it was a possibility, but after he finally convinced karen he really was sorry, she let him go and see el.

karen knew the address, so she drove mike to dan's.

"just call us when you're ready to come back." she smiled as mike hoped out of the car.

"ok, bye." he replied.

"i love you!" said karen.

mike rolled his eyes and walked up the driveway as karen drove away.

mike knocked on the door, no one answered.

was this even the right house??

he knocked again. this time, he heard a muffled cough before the door swung open.

it was dan, in a robe with a cup of coffee.

"what do you want?" dan asked.

"um, do you remember me?" asked mike.

dan looked up and down at mike. "yeah, you're the kid that used to live with eleanor."

mike nodded. "is she home by any chance?" he asked.

"why do you wanna know?" dan frowned.

"she just wasn't at school, and i was wondering if she was okay." mike said quietly.

"she's fine, are we done now?"

"can i see her?" mike asked.

dan thought for a bit. "no, she's very sick."

mike tried to look into the house for el, but his vision was blocked by dan's arm.

"what are you doing?" he asked.

"where is she?" mike asked in a more serious tone.

dan leaned closer to mike's face. "very, very sick." he spat.

"mike?"

his eyes lit up as he heard his name being said very quietly from somewhere in the house. "el?"

"mike!" he heard it a bit louder. he knew it was eleven, but something was wrong, she sounded sad.

"let me see her," mike demanded.

"eleanor. are you sick?" dan asked.

there was a long pause.

"yes." she replied.

"see? she is sick. now, leave." dan lightly shoved mike backwards and closed the door.