Chapter 5

I approached the lunch room scanning around for a place to sit.

When I found an empty table in the far corner of the room, I motioned my head to Leah to follow along with me.

I pulled the seat out and threw myself in the chair. Leah sat down with me setting my things in the center of the table. She carried them for me instead.

I felt extremely awkward. Leah and I sat in silence, while the other people around us stared, whispering things to one another.

I knew they were talking about me.

They always do.

"I know I shouldn't ask, but what happened with Harry?" Leah asked.

"Nothing." I immediately answered. I felt so sick to the sound of his name. I know he's trying to make me fall for him because thats just how he is.

But why does it hurt me?

Making me feel worse, he walked in the lunch room. He looked around at the entrance. I tried hiding myself but it was too late. He caught sight of me and began walking over my direction.

I felt panic and was about get up and leave when another popular girl came over and pulled him away, wrapping her arms around his and yanked him back, pulling him to her table.

He struggled pulling away but wasn't able to. He looked back in disappointment, his forest green eyes darkening.

I felt a sharp stabbing pain in my chest. Even though I was relieved he wasn't coming over here, the sadness in his eyes was as sad as my life. And I felt a little sad myself.

"I saw it too," I heard Leahs voice next to me, "the pain in his eyes. He must of really wanted to talk to you."

I sat there silently.

"But that's not all I see." She continued.

"What?" I finally responded.

"You don't see it?"

"See what?" Frustrated I look over at Harry, him already looking at me, then quickly turned around, whipping his curls to the side.

"See him looking at me? He does it to be the player that he is. He's suddenly talking to me? I was a full blown dork. I'm not going to fall for him so he can throw me away. I've had enough of his immaturity. He's playing with my emotions!" I finally blurted out.

Leah looked concerned.

"That's not exactly what I'm pointing out. What I'm saying is- "

She was interrupted by the security guard letting us know we can grab our lunch.

When we sat back down I think she forgot what she was explaining to me. I decided not to bring it up because I didn't want to sound desperate.

We ate our lunch in silence. Then the day moved on.

-

Later that afternoon, the last bell rang signaling we can all go home.

Leah and I were at my locker. As I pulled my book bag out, I noticed in the corner of my eye, I saw Harry sprinting down the hallway to my direction.

Hesitant, I chucked my last book in my locker, slamming it shut, and moving as fast as I could.

"Wait!" He called.

But I kept on going

I walked out the school, Leah besides me.

When we reached me house, I pulled out my keys and opened the door.

"You can head to living room if you want, I'll brings snacks in a few minutes."

"Okay." She replied.

After a few minutes, I followed her tracks into the room. She was lying on the ground with the poster and markers with other supplies too.

I placed the bowl of chips in the gap between us and took one.

"Okay, where do we begin?" I ask.

"Before we start anything, I wanna ask you something," she paused and looked up at me.

"What?"

"What happened between Harry and you?"

My heart dropped.

I was afraid of that.

"Uuhh..nothing. Why?"

"It's just, things are up and down between you too. You talk, then act like you hate each other. He's always around you so I figured you guys were like a thing."

"We are NOT together!"

"I can see it in his eyes Karlie."

"What?"

"I can see in his eyes he's falling for you. The way he looks down at you when you're close, when he glances at you from across the room."

"Uhh, can we just get working?" I stuttered.

"No. Way." Leah said in astonishment.

"Huh?" I questioned.

"You like Harry!" She screamed.

"WHAT! "

"Yup!"

"Uhhh..."

"Spill!"

"Okay... Maybe a little. But I don't want to! I'm afraid of getting hurt. He's popular, I'm not. I have a bad reputation so if we were EVER together our school wouldn't accept it. " I said sadly.

"It's okay, I'll have your side. I will be your rock. You're shoulder to cry on."

"Aw thanks." Leah and I hugged.

"Now. Do me a favor, and make up with Harry! I wanted to rip my hair out today watching you guys fight!"

"Fine!" I chuckled.

We both laughed, then began the project.