Chapter Thirty-Five.

Y/N POV

"You and Mekhi, were you two ever more than friends?" Normani asked.

"Yes..."

I had a strong feeling in my gut that this question was gonna come up but I didn't expect it to come up so soon. Normani slid off of my lap and folded her arms. Then she looked at me and squinted her eyes at me. I thought I was going to die then a creepy smile spread across Normani's face. It scared me I got up and started taking steps backwards.

"Baby you had a boyfriend, that's so cute! I bet y'all was the cutest boyfriends in the block!" Normani said.

"Huh?"

"Tell me everything baby." Normani said.

I sighed, "There's not much to tell Normani. We met when we were kids, we got really close and then we caught feelings for each other. End of story." I said.

"Who admitted to having feelings first, you or Mekhi?" Normani asked.

"Me." I said.

"What was that like?" Normani said.

"Scary. I'd never felt anything like that before and I'd kept trying to push those feelings away but I couldn't. On top of that Mekhi's mama had Bri and I in church and you know how church folks are about that kind of thing. So for a minute I felt like my feelings for Mekhi was wrong, but eventually I threw all of that aside and just told him how I felt. I was kinda scared to tell him though." I said.

"Rejection?" Normani asked.

I nodded my head and got my photo album out of the nightstand. I handed it to Normani so she could she see some of the pictures Mekhi when we were together. The whole time Normani was oohing and seeing about how cute we looked together.

"You had waves daddy?" Normani asked.

I chuckled, "I did."

"You look like Benji in this picture." Normani said.

"Yeah I do. I'm glad I got rid of the waves though." I said.

"Why?" Normani asked.

"Baby waves are a lot of work. You gotta buy du-rags, wave brushes, and go through the wolfing stage. I'll take my curls over waves anyway of the week." I said.

Normani sat in my lap and pouted, "If I agreed to brush your waves every night you still wouldn't do it?" She asked.

"Nope." I said.

Normani sucked her teeth and looked back at the photo album. "Y'all were a cute a couple. How long did y'all date?" She asked.

"From the time we were sixteen to about the end of our first semester senior year." I said.

"Why'd y'all break up?" Normani asked.

"Y/N, your freckle faced homeboy is coming up!" Bri yelled.

"Oh great." I said.

Mekhi walked in holding boxes in his hands, "I come bearing gifts. Y/N this is for you and Mani this is for you." He said as he handed over the boxes.

"Thanks.." I said.

Normani giggled, "Thank you Mekhi." She said cheerfully.

Mekhi slowly turned and looked at me, "Is she okay?" He asked.

"She knows about us." I said.

"Really?" Mekhi asked.

"Mmhm and Y/N was just about to tell me why you guys broke up." I said.