Chapter 3

North sighed as he looked at the youngest guardian. They had bound him to a cot to ensure their own safety. If Pitch was controlling the poor boy's body, they could never be too careful. The boogeyman was a monster, and there was no telling what he could do. 

Bunny noted North's staring from across the room and came over. "Hey mate, I know it seems like we're never gonna get him back, but just trust him. Jack's strong, he's probably fighting Pitch right now."Bunny looked North in the eyes, trying to convince him to stop worrying.

North scoffed and turned away. "No-one is that strong ... Not even Jack. How could I have let this happen?"North rubbed his head and looked away. He couldn't bear to see Jack in this state any longer. 

Tooth spoke up, her voice rasping under the strain. "Come on North, it's not your fault. None of us know what happened." She tried to convey to him just how sincere her words were. 

The rest of the guardians nodded in agreement as North stalked off to his study. 

{Jack's flashback }

There was blood everywhere. I was practically swimming in it. It was all over my hands. It was covering my staff, and I was even kneeling in it. I had no idea where it came from, or who caused it all. I looked up trying to find the source. 

Tooth, Bunny, Sandy and North's bodies lie on the ground just a few feet away. I tried to get up, to rush to their bodies and bring them back. I slipped and fell several times before I made it there. It was too late. Their bodies held no more breath, no more joy, no more emotion. They were dead, they were all dead. 

I felt hot tears running down my cheeks, and made no move to wipe them away. They were my family, they deserve to know the grief I feel. 

A chuckle from behind my shaking form startled me into silence.

"Didn't think you'd be this affected, Frost ... I'm surprised." His English accent echoed through the dark space, sending shivers down my spine. 

"You killed them!" I shouted angrily, knowing the words were true. 

Pitch laughed coldly, "Ah, my dear boy. I didn't kill them. You did. Just look at yourself Jack, you're practically swimming in their blood." 

My veins filled with white, hot rage at his words. I would never harm a hair on the heads of the guardians ... never. I finally regained the strength in my legs, and I stood up quickly, planning to pounce on him. 

An electric cattle prod caught me in the stomach just as I turned around. The pain coursed through my veins like fire through ice. I let out a strangled cry, allowing myself to fall to the ground in a pile of twitching limbs. 

"When are you going to learn, Jack? We're the same. You're just as dark as I am." Pitch said just before jabbing me with the electricity again. 

The torture continued for what felt like hours, days even. My mind finally gave in and took me to a place where I couldn't feel the pain anymore.