Chapter 6

North looked down at Sandy critically, "Are you sure?" He asked. 

Sandy nodded, a grave expression on his face. He pointed to the 'symptoms' section - each one matching Jack. 

North looked over at Sandy with a sigh, "This is more serious than we thought." 

North's sentiment was met with the sound of shattering glass and Phil's shouting. North quickly dropped the book on a nearby table and rushed to the infirmary, the rest of the guardians following closely behind. 

"Phil?" North called out, peeking into Jack's room. 

The yeti grumbled, pointing to the window. The glass had been shattered. There were ice shards mixed with the glass, and Jack and his staff were both gone. 

"What the hell happened, Phil? You were supposed to be watching him!" North shouted, his words dripping venom. 

Phil shouted back, waving his arms around frantically as he did so. Finally North sighed and nodded, "Alright .. Sorry, Phil. Go lie down." 

Bunny hummed thoughtfully from his crouched position by the window. He swiped a finger through the thick red liquid dripping from a particularly nasty looking shard of glass. "Looks like someone's gotten a little sloppy." 

Tooth crouched down beside Bunny, careful not to step on any glass. She looked at the blood and shook her head. "No, I don't think this was accidental." Even though Jack had almost killed her before and threatened to do it again, she was with North. She believed there was some part of their friend still in there, and he was fighting to get out. 

*** Jack's P.O.V. ***

I clutched my arm tightly, trying to stop the bleeding. I don't remember cutting that deep. I felt myself stumbling through the forest, going to an all too familiar place. When I finally reached the lake, I could feel the sluggishness setting in. I dropped my staff and collapsed onto the frozen water. 

Why did I escape from the guardians? 

Why didn't I just kill them? 

I couldn't shake the feeling that I was somehow connected to them ... That some part of me cared for them. I quickly shook my head. Thoughts like that are dangerous. 

I forced myself to my feet, wobbling towards the ominous hole in the ground. I needed to see Pitch. He'd help me. He won't be happy that I failed, but he can help me succeed. He'll kill the part of me that cares.