Chapter 8

Breakfast wasn't filled with the usual pleasantries. The tallest building in the world was no match for the tension in the room.

"I put my career on hold to give of myself to my husband and children to the highest degree that is humanly possible,  and this is how you thank me, by deceiving me? There are no words to describe how that makes me feel. Wasn't I good enough?  Didn't I pay enough attention to you? Didn't I keep the house well? The children?"

He just stared at her numb. Panic rose in his throat.  He needed to be careful how he responded to her. How long could he keep up this charade?

"Now I understand all those late nights...!" She said with sarcasm.

"I totally agree with you, and I am truly sorry, it was never my intention to hurt you, it all started innocently, it was just for fun." He tried to put on his best puppy dog look.

The words,  "started innocently" and "just for fun" sent Jill into a tailspin.

"INNOCENT? JUST FOR FUN? WHAT KIND OF A MONSTER ARE YOU?" Jill was totally distraught at that point. His insensitivity was too much for her. She was in screaming mode now.

"Calm down Sweet Heart." He tried to touch her.

"DON'T TOUCH ME!" She jerked away.

Tom walked away and looked out the window seeing nothing.

Now talking to the world outside, "I did everything in my power to prevent you from finding out the truth. I was selfish and did not think how my actions would impacted my family. I kept thinking if Jill finds out she would be devastated. And believe me leading a double life was taking it's toll on me."

Jill was shocked over his words. "A toll on you?" Her face was red with rage. "A toll on YOU?"

Tom looked surprised. "Yes...on me. It had nothing to do with you. Not really. Not directly."

"Don't you love me anymore? " Jill wailed.

"What kind of a question is that....of course I love you. This has nothing to do with you."

Jill's face went red with rage again. "How can you say that?"

"It is my problem and my problem alone."

"WHAT?" Jill shouted with emotion.

"The endless excuses I gave you for the reason I was not home, you never once questioned me, because you trusted me, and I misused that trust. But I was the one with the problem not you."

Jill could not take anymore her energy was spent and her emotions were all over the place. She could not think straight.

She had to be alone for a while. She had to get away from him. She abruptly stood up and went to the doorway that led to the bedrooms and turned, With unveiled contempt that she was sure she would never have for the love of her life she said,

"I can't believe you would do this to me."

Tom's brain exploded.
Jill left the room.