Chapter 11

“Mother!” Tom rushed to her side. “Mother? What is the matter?” He was distressed.
Jill just goes on the other side of the bed and takes her mother-in-law's hand.
Tom's mother's eyes flutter and she weakly opens them.
“Oh Tom,” she whimpers “I am so sorry Tom, I am so sorry.”
“What are you sorry about mother?, there is nothing to be sorry about.”
“Oh Tom....” she wails, “I should have told you sooner......sooner.”
She fell into unconsciousness again.
“Doctor, what is wrong with her?” Tom was pleading with the doctor for answers.
“We have run a battery of tests but we are currently as much in the dark as you are. The results should be here soon.”
A few minutes later, her eyes opened again, her voice was weak so Tom bent down to put his ear to her mouth. “Son, please hold me.”
Tom put his arm under her and sat on the bed holding her close to him.
In a very weak voice barely audible she repeated, “I am so sorry, so very sorry son.”
Tom was so confused. She had been an exemplary mother all his life and never caused him any grief or sadness. There was nothing that he could think of that she needed to say sorry about.
Then she got a burst of strengthen and said,

“There are four seasons in the year. There is winter, spring, summer and autumn also known as fall. Your mother is falling and doesn't know why? But before I go, please forgive me for not telling you earlier....” She stopped.
“Telling me what mother?” Tom asked gently.
“..........you have a twin brother. Please find him.”

Then he looked up at Jill. The shock on her face was as great as his own. When he looked down again his mother was gone.