Chapter 5

'The big question each and every day, what's for supper tonight? We haven't had Shepherd's pie in a long time, the family would enjoy eating  that. Some garlic bread won't hurt either. That would mean a trip to the store, I wasn't planning on going out today.  It shouldn't take too long I know what I need.'

On her way to the store she was thinking,'What else do I need?' Suddenly she stopped the car and shouted out the window,
"Thomas Junior, why aren't you in school?"
The young boy turned to look at her, puzzled and asked,
"Why is everyone calling me Thomas Junior?, my name is Owen Cousins."

Mrs Thomas' head started spinning. The question her friends asked, "Is your husband cheating?" and Junior asking, "Was I adopted?" all came flooding back to her mind.

"Sorry young man, but you have a striking resemblance to my son, sorry to have troubled you."

Seeing the boy was a shock to her system. She trembled violently to the point that she could not drive. She sat in the car for a long time forcing her self to think positive. That helped her to calm down. She turned the car around and went home forgetting why she left home.

She could hardly open the front door of her house her hands were still shaking. Now inside she numbly sat at the kitchen table.  "I trusted him." The tears started to flow.

The phone rang several times. She looked at the phone as if she did not hear it.

The children waited at school, "Where is mom it's getting,
late?"

Heather, Jimmy's mother, a designated driver, was waiting with the kids.

"Five minutes more, if your mom is not here I'll drive by the house. If no one is there I'll call you dad, okay?" and they piled into the car.

"I am sorry for getting mad at you." Tom Junior said to Jimmy.

"That's Okay. I would  probably get mad too if it was me. "

"Are you two fighting again?" Heather ask.
"No!" They both answer. "It's a guy thing."

"Okay then." She said.

Approaching the house, "Your mom's car is in the driveway."

The kids thank Heather as they ran inside. Heather waited to see if everything was alright.

Their Mom was sitting at the table just  staring, not even acknowledge the kids saying hello to her.

"Sorry kids my mind is just wondering."
"Aren't you feeling well?" They asked. "Yes, yes I am fine." She lied.
"I'm so sorry I completely forgot to pick you at school. How did you get home?"
"We've  been calling but there was no answer so Heather brought us home." Sarah went to wave goodbye to Heather.

"Its not like Jill to forget the kids at school." she said  as she drove away.