Chapter 8 - Judgment Day

Metal clanged as someone unlocked the door to my cell.  Suddenly, I was yanked from the cold floor and forced to walk the many yards up to the surface.  Half-awake, I stumbled almost the entire way, and only once I laid eyes on the moon above did I fully awaken.

            Some people cheered while others hissed as the large Warrior on my right led me to the Circle of Judgment in the center of the Council Chamber.

            “Raven Mae Sera, you stand before both the Council and many vampires who have come to witness your Judgment.” Lord Jason Danes spoke dauntingly, silencing the rowdy crowd.

            “You have been accused and proven guilty of illegally siring a young human by the name of Braden Lee Kail, who then in turn became rogue and slaughtered 98 humans in one night.  To my understanding, you took charge and then killed this new vampire.  Do you deny these charges?”

            I look up the wall that surrounded me and gazed straight into the High Sire’s eyes.  “I do not, my Lord, but I regret all but my final action of slaying the rogue.”

            Whispers darted through the crowd.  The movement was so synchronized that the source became completely blended with the darkened crowd, unable to be told apart from the rest.

            “The normal punishment for the crime of illegal siring leading to massacre is death.” I held my breath. “But because you took action and killed the rogue before more damage was done, I offer you the chance of redemption.” A few people cheered and others shouted hateful words at me.  Lord Danes turned to the crowd and Council.  “I ask you, commoners and Council alike, to speak now on the behalf of the young Raven and as to what you believe to be the proper atonement for her crimes.”

            An old vampire stood and shouted, “only blood will repay blood!”

            “No!” shouted another, “Imprison her for life!”

            The shouting continued, terrible punishments circling the room.

            “Stop!” one young man finally yelled. “She has paid much already by killing the man she loved.” The crowd was silent. “What if she were to serve the Council and the Second Realm for the rest of her life?  To become a Warrior of Night to serve the Society?” The boy gulped, nervous. “And if she fails to obey, she is executed.”

            Cheers erupted all through the chamber, even the elders seemingly content by this idea.

            “Silence.” Spoke Lord Jason. “Raven Mae Sera,” he addressed, “are you willing to serve the Council as a Warrior of Night for the rest of your days, and if you fail to obey, your life forfeited to us?”

            I nodded, relieved. “Yes, High Sire.  I agree to this arrangement.”

            Drake stood. “My Lord, I tested Raven last night for magic.  She has it.  A lot.  She has the potential to become insanely powerful.  I would like to request to be her personal mentor in the Arts.”

            “I accept your proposition.  Out of curiosity, what color is Raven’s magic?”

            Drake smiled. “Black, my Lord.”

            Jason seemed surprised. “You are positive of this?” Drake nodded. “Then she will indeed be a great asset to our society.”  Jason leapt from the podium to the floor before me. “Do you, Raven Mae Sera, pledge your life, magic, and talents to serving the Society of the Second Realm before all else and for all time?” He recited, drawing his sword.

            I dropped to one knee and bowed my head.  “Yes, High Sire Danes.  My life is yours to command.”

            “Then hold out your left arm.” I did.  Quickly, he took his sword and slashed a line in my forearm.  “Then you are now bound to serve.  By this mark, the Goddess’s will is done.” Black liquid bubbled up to my skin and snaked around my arm, shaping into a tribal-like dragon. “This trial is over.  Raven Sera is now a Warrior!” Jason announced before the crowd.

            Cheers erupted and I stood, revealing the dragon tattoo that was now a part of me. Slowly, the crowd dissipated as I sat in silent meditation in the Circle.  I was so grateful to the boy who had managed to save my life.

            “I didn’t think it’d work,” I heard someone say next to me.  Eyes still closed, I continued my meditation.  “So you’re not even going to open your eyes and look at the guy who probably just saved your ass from death?”

            The voice clicked in my head and I opened my eyes, astonished that he was there.  “Arrakis, you idiot!” I yelled at him.  “Why don’t you listen? God damn it boy!”

            “You know you love me,” Arrakis smirked.

            I groaned. “Sadly, that’s true.” I smiled after a moment. “Why did you come?”

            “I came because even if this was the end for you and I might suffer forever because I watched, I would rather be with you in the end than never know what happened.”  I had to stop myself from crying.

            “Why do you have to be so fucking romantic? I can never stay mad at you because of it.”

            He smiled and held out his hand. “Come on, your mentor sent me to come get you.”  I grabbed his hand and he pulled me up.

            As Arrakis led me down an uphill corridor, I stopped. “Thank you.” I told him. “I probably would have ended up in some shitty situation if you hadn’t come along.”

            “Nah, it’s nothing,” he told me and finished leading me to Drake’s quarters.  “By the way, I’m staying in the East Warrior’s corridor.  Your temporary settlement is in the South Mage’s wing with Drake.  You’re his apprentice, after all.”

            I nodded. “That’s right, I’d forgotten you’re a Warrior.”

            “Yep, been a Warrior since I was fourteen.  Well, I’d better leave you to your training.  Come find me in the East Warrior wing in room 23 when you’re done.  I won’t be going anywhere.” He pulled me to him and planted a passionate kiss on my lips.  We stood there for several minutes before he finally let go.  “I love you,” he told me as he walked back down the hall.

            Once he was out of sight, I turned toward the ornate silver door before me, taking a huge breath.  “Well here goes nothing,” I whispered to myself beneath my breath.