Chapter 5 - Dreamer's Song

A storm raged as the waves crashed onto the rocky shore and drug away the fleeing victims.  The lighthouse glared behind me, illuminating the wrecked boats all throughout the shallows.  I watched the fish swim away, frightened by something in the water.

            Blood billowed up to the surface in places, staining the wild waves with patches of crimson.  A fin peeked out from the water, glowing gold eyes gazing at me from beneath the shifting surface.

            Something churned inside me – a longing for the water.  The creature leapt from the sea, scales and its tail glittering beneath the crescent moon.  My breath came in shallow gasps, suddenly, like the air was too dry to breath.  I watched the monster beckon me, leading me to the water.  I pushed myself onto my feet, feeling wobbly on the solid ground.  Slowly, I crawled down rocky crest to the sand.  There wasn’t much, only enough for me to collapse onto and slowly feel my heart slow and my breathing stop.  Through the mist that clouded my mind, I heard a song being sung softly beside me.

            Nature’s child,

            She is the one

            Named for darkness

            But pure of heart.

            So much confusion

            So little time

            Tonight the Shifter

            Takes hold of the sea

            The creature took hold of me, dragging me slowly into the dark bay.  Once I was completely into the water, I gasped.  I could breathe again.  Opening my eyes, I looked upon the denizen that had saved me.

            She had hair like seaweed, and a tail like a fish.  Her eyes were golden yellow with pupils like a wolf’s.  Out of nowhere, the images from the previous night appeared in my mind.  I started screaming, gulping in the fierce water.

            Suddenly, the mermaid opened her mouth.  Two rows of razor sharp, thorn-like teeth glistened at me, lunging at me hungrily as the monster lurched forward.