Chapter 17 - Wounded

Rayne rushed into one of the side buildings that I’d never been in.  The doors were glass and Rayne nonchalantly burst through.

            “Jamie!  We need medical assistance ASAP!” Arrakis yelled, hopping off Rayne’s back and rushing to Jamie, the woman behind the ront desk.  She glanced rapidly from him, to Rayne, then to my gaping side.  One moment passed as her gaze lingered over my wound, then she rushed into the back, returning only second later with a man.

            “What happened?” he asked, shocked as he beckoned Rayne to follow him.

            “She fe-” Rayne began.

            “I was taking a walk near the Black Cliffs and I got too close to the edge and slipped.  I was able to use my wings and get back to the top until Rayne, Drake, and Arrakis found me.” I interrupted.

            “Ah,” he breathed, leading us into a large operating table, if I wasn’t mistaken, “I am Doctor James Brak.  I’ll be the one in charge.” James looked to Jamie, “go get me at least three rolls of bandages; a bottle of vodka; two rolls of gauze; and the stitching kit – just in case.” She nodded and ran off.

            “You want me to set her down here, doctor?” Rayne clarified.

            “Yes, please do.  Make sure her back is on the table.” Rayne nodded and lay me down on the cold surgical steel table.  I shivered a little.  “Raven, if you could please remove your hand from your side when I say ‘go’.  Drake, if you would please put a temporary barrier over wound so that I can take a look at it more closely.”

            Drake waltzed up beside me.  “I had a feeling you were injured.” He smiled.

            “Go!” Dr. Brak commanded and I pulled my jacket from my side.  Drake quickly hovered his hands over my wound and an invisible frost froze my blood.

            “Looks pretty nasty,” Dr. Brak mused as Jamie rushed in.  “Hand me the vodka.” She did.  He took a quick swig the poured it over my side.  Luckily, the frost had numbed my side so I didn’t feel the burn.  The doctor grabbed the gauze and put a large, multi-layer chunk over my wound, then wrapped numerous layers of bandage around my waist to hold it to the spot.

            Drake relazed and let the frost fade.  I cringed as the pain set in, my body jerking at the sudden change.  Arrakis took my hand and squeezed it.  “Do you want anything?” He asked as the doctor walked out to talk with Drake.

            “I just want clothes and food, preferably pizza.”

            He nodded.  “I’ll be back shortly, my love.” He squeezed my hand and walked out.

            “You suffer a great wound,” Rayne stated, “I feared for your life in the tomb.  Can I do anything?”

            I nodded.  “Can you protect the Sword while I can’t?” my gaze lingered on the blade she still held in her hand. “I do not wish to lose it.”

            She smiled.  “Of course I can.  I’d never let anyone touch it other than you or I while I still live.”

            “Thank you,” I breathed, fighting the pain as Rayne picked me up gently and carried me to a more comfortable room and laid me on the bed.

            “You will be safe here.  Rest.  I will not leave your side.” I nodded and shut my eyes, letting the unconsciousness be a welcome release.