Chapter 22 - The End is Just the Beginning

The only thing I heard as my very own life poured from my body was Kain’s scream of agony as his soul was shattered by the very blade he used to become immortal.  Tears streamed freely as my heart pounded heavily, trying to keep me alive.

            I thought back on all my regrets, my failures and my stupid choices.  I hated myself for many of them, but in my heart I knew that the things I’d accomplished in my brief life had made up for my faults.  Alas, I smiled as I thought about Arrakis and the joy he and I had shared.  I could have sworn that I could hear his voice calling to me in my mind.

            “Raven!” Arrakis kept shouting, “Fuck! Raven! You have to stay with me!” My eyes shot open as I realized that Arrakis was actually beside me with Drake and Rayne.

            “Why have you come?” I gasped through the blood that gurgled in my throat.

            “We came for you.  I had a terrible feeling, so I went to the place where the other indent for the amulet was.  Oh, Goddess, Raven!  You’re dying…” tears fell from Arrakis’s eyes as he stared at my skewered body.

            I coughed.  “I did this to myself, Arrakis,” I gulped for air, “I did this to save all of you.  Kain was controlling me and trying to destroy the humans.  The Narvel were trying to stop them,” I smiled weakly, “through my death the curse is ended.”

            Rayne looked saddened.  “You sacrificed yourself to save those who did not ask to be saved.  You will be honored by those who will know the true story.”

            “I’m going to miss you, my love.  I wish this did not have to pass for I would have wished to spend the rest of my life with you,” Arrakis pronounced.

            “I love you, Arrakis,” I reached up and put my hand on his pale cheek as a tear fell, “no matter what comes next, you will survive.  You will never fall, for I will be beside you, even in death,” I gasped as an empty darkness engulfed me.  My spirit bled through my lips and floated peacefully into the cavern.

            “You will be missed, Lady Raven of the Nocturnal; savior of humanity.” Drake whispered, his eyes dark with deep sorrow.  My own eyes teared up at the sight and I could not hold back my sadness.

            “Do not be sad, young Raven.  This is only the beginning of a new era.  Look now upon the change you have brought to the people that Kain had destroyed,” a sweet feminine voice floated through the room, brushing gently against my spirit.

            I gazed at Arrakis, gasping as I realized that he was human; his skin now given color. “It’s over now, isn’t it?  The curse is ended and the Sera and the Narvel will fade into a forgotten history.  No one will remember my name,” I looked at the shimmering silhouette that began to form before me, “but I will always remember.  I did something great, and I know it.  That’s all that matters now.”

            Slowly, the transparent shape became increasingly solid.  “But I will remember, child.  I will remember the great price you paid to save this world, and others, from damnation.  There is a reward for you by my side.”  Suddenly, I realized who stood before me.

            “Nyx,” I breathed, my heart skipping a beat as I stared in utter amazement at the beautiful goddess before me.  She sported silky floor-length black hair and deep green eyes that glowed like the stars in the night sky.

            “Raven, you need not feel inferior or unworthy before me.  You are my daughter and I am your mother.  You belong with me.” Nyx held out her hand and I grasped it.

            “This is only the beginning,” Nyx told me as we walked off into darkness, the wrongs of my ancestors finally righted.