viii. a nerd moment

eight

eight. a nerd moment

FLORENCE WOKE UP earlier than everyone which was excepted after going to sleep at eight the night before.

She slowly moved the blanket aside and sat up, her feet touching the cold carpet underneath her. As her toes slowly curled into the soft fabric, a faint yawn came from her parted lips.

She scratched the back of her head and blinked a few times to rid her eyes of the fuzziness. Vivid memories of the day before flowed back into her mind and for a moment, Florence could hardly breathe; she felt herself beginning to tremble. 

After Splinter had pulled her away into the dojo, he sat her down and spoke with her in a gentle voice. He spoke comforting words.

You are safe with us. This is your new home for the time being. 

Florence managed to keep herself strong up until Splinter said, "As much as you blame yourself, this is not your fault." 

That's when Florence burst into a fit of tears and heavy sobs. 

It was her fault. 

Nothing would have ever happened if she didn't just ignore her curiosity. If she didn't steal the mutagen, she wouldn't have been hunted down and her father wouldn't be missing. She wasn't sure if he even was missing. 

Yet the next morning, after crying almost the entire night, Florence happened to feel a bit better. Splinter promised her that they'd search for her father after she got adjusted. 

Florence sat blinking in her bed and slowly inhaled and exhaled to calm her rapidly beating heart. 

I'll be okay, she thought to herself before she stood up and looked down at her clothes. She grimaced.

She still had on the same clothes as the day before. Then again, she didn't exactly have a mall right around the corner let alone money for any clothes. She was also sure that the turtles didn't have any clothes for her either.

Florence stood and quickly shuffled to the paper door before sliding it open and wandering to the kitchen. Mikey gave her a short yet lively tour of the home yesterday so she knew where most of the things were, but what she also knew was that all of the turtles would wake up at seven, leaving an hour to herself. 

Florence walked over to the coffee maker and quickly put the grains and the water before pressing the silver button and allowing the coffee to begin its process. She sat at the island table as she waited, her forehead resting on her arm.

She only opened her eyes when she heard the sound of feet shuffling into the kitchen. 

Raph looked wide awake when he walked into the kitchen. With his back slightly hunched and a small tortoise on his shoulder, the red-clad turtle wandered to the counter and paused in his steps when he saw the coffee maker already running.