1st secret | Ugly Snow White in The Forest

"Lips as pale as snow,

Eyes as dark and light like day and night,

Gifted or cursed,

She never knew what she was,

Strange were her looks and different was she."

******************************

FIRST SECRET

Ugly Snow White in The Forest

*****************************

September  10th, 1985

As the rain poured down heavily outside her room, she silently drew on her leather-covered journal. She traced the image of a beautiful girl with lovely, long and wavy hair; tracing its every details.

A nicely-done sketch of a beauty who she will never be because of her hideousnes. The ugly Rhia Montelva, as she would label herself. She bit her lip as she tried to figure out which colors to use on her drawing. Lips as red as roses. Skin so clear and soft, a lively color should do.

But before coloring, she stared at the image for a moment, thinking to herself what would it feel like to be beautiful? She frowned at her own ridiculous thought for she knew that it was unnecessary for someone as ugly as her.

To be beautiful is a wish that will never come true. Because when you are born with certain peculiarities, it is hard to wish for something that completely contrasts your own person. 

But in Rhia's case, she is the definition of peculiarity. Her looks are nothing alike the girl she drew. She chuckled at her own self-pity. If someone were to tell her face-to-face how hideous she looks like, then she would just simply laugh at how true and honest the word describes her.

A few minutes later, someone knocked at her door. Her Mom entered her room. "Ano gusto mong hapunan anak?" Her mom asked her.

Her wandering thoughts of negativity vanished like a bubble as she turned her head to her beautiful mom. "Umm-- isda. Okay na po 'yon." simpleng sagot niya. 

She's beautiful... Sigurado ka ba na anak ka niya?

...

Rhia shook her head as new thoughts invaded her mind. But it's true... she looks nothing like her mother. She even once or a few more times thought of being an adopted child, though her parents confirmed to her that she is not and they will always love her. But this didn't make things better because everytime she sees them, nakikita nya kung saan siya naiiba sa kanila.