Chapter 13 - Take Some Risks

Elsa's POV ~

    I sat down on the side bench against the wall and watched the white haired boy, intrigued, sit as well.

"A boy. A long time ago, he and his little sister were very close. The naughty, trickster Jackson Overland and his soft, kind-hearted sister Mary were two of a kind. Together, they played around, laughed around, and were happy around. One day, they left to do their seasonal skating on a frozen lake. However, it was not thick enough as the ice began to crackle beneath the girl. The boy quickly grabbed a stick and pulled her to safety but in return for his own life. There, he was able to return to the world as another being, one who protects the world through ice and frost, Jack Frost."

    I looked at him.

His snowflaked eyes were wide in surprise by the amount of information I knew.
He looked down and rubbed his pale hand on the back of his cool neck.

"Yep. Yep. You're right."

What?
I thought it was another tale told by my parents to encourage me....

Nervous laughter escaped his pink lips as he continued.

"The first memory I ever knew was me being risen from a lake by the man in the moon, Manny, and...I was...empty."

He shook his head again and looked down, trying to piece the words together.

"I had no one. I was alone, for years. And I thought during that time, when people didn't believe in me, why, why was I born? Why was it happening to me?"
He sighed.

"Then I met the guardians who introduced me to Pitch Black and his inhumane torture. By seeing my fears, I eventually found my memories. Yes. I saved my sister. I died so that she could live the rest of her life, even if I wasn't going to be in it."

Silence filled the air.
I don't know what to say...

"You know,"
I started.

He looked up at me.

"We are the same aren't we? We both love our sisters...we would die for them."

"Yes, yes we are. And we also have our ice powers."
His mouth curved into a smile.

His smile fulfilled the image of a boy who just wanted to have fun.
He looks like fun...
He looks happy...
But how can anyone be happy with the curse?

"Hey Jack...may I ask you a question?"

"Of course."

I looked straight into his eyes, trying not to smile.
Why is it so hard?

"Why...how are you so content with your...powers?"

He turned away slowly and rested his sharp jaw on his hand.

"Hmm... Well, because I knew what, who I was doing it for, y'know? The kids... I liked seeing those wide grins on their face every time I did something. Whether it was a small snowflake or a big snowball, there was a moment where that kid saw everything good and pure in the world.
I wouldn't give that ability to make someone happy up anytime."

Crap. He good...

Happy...

I smiled at him and nodded.