Ch. 2 - Neither Adam Nor Angel Can't Stop Thinking About the Other

Angel was in the middle of baking a new recipe off from Pinterest—salted caramel butter bars (one entire pound of butter, good grief)—when her doorbell rang. Setting down her hand mixer and the bowl she hurried to answer it.

"Leigh," she said, feeling her heart sink as soon as she took in the sorry sight of her best friend. "Come in, are you okay?"

Looking slightly forlorn in her flannel pants and Wonder Woman t-shirt, Leigh walked past Angel into the apartment. Her waist length straight brown hair with its dark blonde highlights was up in a messy bun. Normally, Leigh wore nothing but classy little suits and stylish outfits, helping her present a certain 'image' to the world. It was all for the good of her long-term boyfriend, Michael Rocke, whom she'd been dating since their freshman year of college. Leigh used to be a theater person, too. That's how Angel had met her in high school when Leigh tried out for the school show, but that part of Leigh's life had slowly been taken over by the many dinners and events she had to attend with Michael. She needed a more flexible schedule than even community theater could provide in order to be there fully for him. Fortunately, her job as a high school English teacher meant she had a lot of time in the evenings and on weekends as long as she had time to plan her classes and grade papers.

However, whenever she came over looking like this it meant there was trouble in paradise again. Angel had really liked Michael at first. He was charming, charismatic, and head over heels for Leigh. At least, he had been in college. Neither of them had dated very much in high school, they'd been each other's first real relationship, and they had both been virgins when they met. For a while it looked like true love and Leigh was still convinced Michael was her soul mate, but last year they'd gone on a break because he wanted to try dating other people to make sure she was 'the one' for him. Apparently, he couldn't know for sure without dating other women. At the time Leigh said she understood, and Angel supposed she kind of did too, but Angel had a feeling it was more about the teasing he'd gotten from some of his friends who'd realized he'd only ever had sex with one woman in his entire life than about true uncertainty over whether or not Leigh was who he wanted to be with for the rest of his life.

Fortunately for Leigh's heart it had only taken him three weeks (and a few failed attempts at getting a date) to realize he was being an idiot and Leigh was the best thing that had ever happened to him. Plus, realizing there were plenty of other guys interested in Leigh. Angel hadn't really trusted Michael since, although Leigh had thrown herself completely back into the relationship, just as starry eyed as ever.

"Leigh?" Angel asked, closing the front door as her friend didn't answer. Whatever it was it couldn't be too bad because Leigh didn't look like she'd been crying. She just looked upset.

"I don't know," said her friend with a sigh. Her mismatched eyes looked miserable as she met Angel's gaze, one greenish hazel and the other just hazel, framed by some of the longest lashes Angel had ever seen. There were times when she'd joked about finding a way to steal them from her. "Michael's acting weird again and I'm just... Annoyed. Frustrated. Antsy."

"Come into the kitchen and tell me about it," Angel said, giving her friend a big hug. Leigh clung to her for a moment before letting go and they went into the kitchen.

"Where are the guys?" Leigh asked, referring Angel's housemates. Angel had responded to a Craig's list ad three years ago and ended up getting along so well with the guys when she first met them that they'd accepted her application immediately and they were all still living together in the same house three years later. Leigh liked them too, although she preferred not to talk about her Michael-issues when they were around because they'd get all defensively protective, despite the fact that they weren't exactly poster boys for male aggression.