Ch. 4 - Master Adam Still Can't Get "Mistress Angela" Out of His Head

Strumming his guitar, Adam absently went through the fingering he'd memorized in high school for Scarborough Fair. It was his go-to song for when he wanted to just sit and think; it was a soothing song to listen to and he'd played it so many times that his fingers went through the motions without him having to pay attention to what he was doing.

His brother had been the one to teach him how to play guitar. Brian had been incredibly musically gifted. Adam knew his friends were impressed with his ear for music and his apparent ease with stringed instruments, but he was nothing compared to how Brian had been. As he played, his eyes wandered around the den and over to the one family picture he kept up there. That picture was the reason he hardly ever went into this room.

It had been taken when he was seven and his brother was ten, the year before their parents' bitter divorce. At the time he hadn't understood why his mother had left so abruptly, although he'd completely understood his father's anger. Eventually he realized he'd rarely seen his parents together during the last two years of their marriage. His father had always remained shut up in the basement working while his mother did her best to pretend she wasn't lonely and didn't feel neglected. But the worst part of the divorce hadn't been the separation, it had been the way both parents had used him and Brian as weapons against each other after the marriage had ended. ,

For a long time after his brother had overdosed on drugs, he'd blamed both of his parents for Brian's descent into oblivion. It was during that time he'd started refusing to choose between them for holidays. In high school and college he'd gone to friends' houses, and once he'd gotten old enough he'd started having his own celebrations. Ever since his brother had spiraled wildly out of control, Adam's life had been focused on maintaining control. In and out of bed.

Sometimes he wondered if his parents' influence was the reason he'd held off on having a real relationship for so long. Well, that wasn't entirely true. He had really cared about Brooke, the closest he'd ever come to falling in love with someone, and it wasn't because of his parents the relationship hadn't worked out. Actually, it had been almost a relief to know a relationship could end on good terms, that he wasn't necessarily destined to crash and burn like his parents had. Then again, he and Brooke had both been honest enough to know they weren't meeting each other's needs. Last he'd heard she was very happy in a relationship with an accomplished sadist.

And his parents weren't doing so badly themselves anymore. His dad had started dating a woman named Claire while Adam was in high school and they had been living together since then, although they didn't seem inclined to actually marry. Last year his mother had remarried, an Englishman named Sam who worshiped the ground she walked on and made her blissfully happy.

Maybe his parents' ability to move on was why he was finally feeling ready to have another go at a real relationship.

So why the obsession with Mistress Angela? A woman who obviously wasn't right for him. All week he'd been debating whether or not to go see the show she was in. Last weekend at Chained the answer had seemed obvious, but the more he thought about it the more he waffled.

And waffling was not something Adam was used to.

There was a strange sound threaded through the delicate fingering of the guitar and it took him a moment to realize he was grinding his teeth. With a sigh he leaned his head back, resting his hand on the body of the guitar. He was losing it over a Domme. How had his life to come to this?

Opening his eyes he looked up at the clock.

Damn. He needed to get ready to go to Stronghold.