Ch. 10 - Angel and Adam Both Do Some Thinking

The Settlers of Catan was probably the house favorite when it came to board games, unless they were feeling in a more cooperative mood in which case they'd break out Arkham which would allow the guys to harken back to their D&D days a little. Angel enjoyed both because game play wasn't completely based on luck; a bit part of it was preparation, strategy and flexibility. Plus, she loved the Arkham stuff because she'd gotten a little obsessed with H.P. Lovecraft after Sam had introduced the game to the house.

And she loved game nights with her housemates, especially ones which didn't involve the television, because they got to talk a little bit more while that was going on. When she'd first moved into the house it had been just Q and Mark. Angel had met Kris, their housemate who was moving out, during a show and she'd been looking for a place to live. They'd been a little hesitant about having a girl move in, but Angel had always been more comfortable around guys anyway and it hadn't been long before her "interview" with them had turned into a three-hour long session of Halo. A few months later they'd finally rented out the last room to Sam.

Angel was the one who instituted game night once a month, otherwise, the guys could get really anti-social without meaning to. Of course, when she'd started the games it had been things like Cranium and Apples to Apples. The guys had started expanding her gaming horizons almost immediately. They'd take turns choosing what game was being played, and with four of them in the house there was almost always at least one person who would need the rules explained the first time they played a game. Last month she'd demolished all three of them with Lord of the Rings Trivial Pursuit, tonight was now payback because she sucked at Catan. But at least she enjoyed it, unlike Risk—which had been banned from the house after a week-long game that had ended with no one speaking to each other.

"So where have you been?" Q asked as Mark took his turn. "I feel like we haven't seen you in days."

"I'm surprised you noticed," she teased. After all, the three of them could become incredibly wrapped up on their computers, to the point where she'd gone away for a weekend with Leigh once and they hadn't realized she was gone until Sunday evening when there wasn't any fresh baking.

"And who's the guy?" asked Sam. Startled, Angel looked up at him. He shrugged. "You were playing country music all day."

"Angry-girl-country music," Marc specified.

She rolled her eyes. "I've been out with some new friends." True. "And there's no guy." Not quite true.

"New friends? Girls?" Mark perked up. He'd been single since his last girlfriend moved away and the long-distance thing hadn't quite worked out. That had been a little over half a year ago. Angel was glad to see him taking an interest again.

"They're all taken."

"Then what good are you?"

"Good enough for... this!" Angel grinned as she took her turn.

"Pretty sure that's not what he was talking about."

"Don't care."

Smiling fondly at her housemates, Angel found her thoughts drifting to Stronghold. She might love game night, but part of her really wished she'd been able to go to the club. Although, if Master Grouchy was there then maybe this was for the best. Her feelings about him still weren't sorted through and she still wasn't sure what she wanted from the club. It was probably better to wait till next week anyway. Game night just enforced that.

Still, she had some trouble concentrating on the game and not thinking about Master Adam at Stronghold. Good thing she was used to losing.

******