our beautiful cat

"i'm your calico cat, here to see you"

<><><>

perry walked beside bren, almost behind, almost hiding behind bren's broad shoulder. perry was small and needed protection, needed someone, didn't need attention (even though perry did enjoy it), perry just needed someone and bren was that someone most of the time.

their hands remained dangled, brushing with each step and reminding one of the other each time their skin scraped, perry's small, cold hands against bren's larger but still small and colder hands.

perry's eyes were still bloodshot and small sniffles were still audible from behind bren, which were skilfully ignored.

there was a limit to how much affection bren could show a day.

the walk was done in silence and uneventful. they weren't aiming to be anywhere, as before, neither of them ever had anywhere to be.

then perry saw it, the most precious thing and put it on a podium beside bren. that was a great honor, this thing had beaten flamingos and bed socks on perry's podium of adorations.

"bren." perry's voice was softer than the breeze and gentler than a lamb and it did things to bren. stirred up feelings about perry which were quickly shoved back down.

turning to perry, bren scowled a little less in reply.

"buy me kitten."

bren's gaze followed perry's small hand pointing into a shop window in which sat a cat, head tilted to the side, so close to the glass condensation spread and shrunk on the window.

sighing, bren knew better than to reject perry today, even if it meant buying a cat.

after a very eventful hour in the pet shop, mainly trying to de-claw kitten from bren's hand, the three left, the original two's existence filled with a little more life.

despite being told not to, perry opened the cage and let kitten climb a top bren, claws once again digging into the jacket.

they must've looked quite the crowd, one a scowling, brooding, grumbling, mumbling mess of black and baggy clothes about a bad attitude, the other a smiling, beaming, giggling, bubbling spillage of rainbows and sunshine, the two's hands placed stoically in the space between them, skin brushing, the two touching yet never connected, and of course there was kitten tumbling from one to the other with the grace and agility of a circus performer.

bren was pleased that kitten made perry the happy, smiling, annoyingly optimistic little thing of before and now, having seen what perry could be without the reason to be perry, bren was so much more aware of the vulnerable little thing, whose cold hand was small and delicate beside bren's own.

pushing away all contradictions to the next act to take place, bren took one small tiptoe in physicality and nothing less of a jump through hyperspace in emotionality, reaching out and intertwining their pinkies.