Bad at Love

I advise yall to just like, listen to Halsey's song "Bad at Love" while reading this, it fits.

Alex's POV:

My eyes were glued on the window and my feet were dangling off the bed, but I didn't care. I needed to distance myself from him.

My phone vibrated on the side table and I quickly reached over and grabbed it, checking over my shoulder to see if he was still asleep.

Chris: Heyyyy Lexxxx are you excited?

I couldn't hold back my smile as I read the text from the older striker.

Me: Excited about what exactly????

Chris: Don't play dumb... THE NEXT GAMES AGAINST JAPAN OBVI!!💯💯🇯🇵

Me: Simmer down, child.

Chris: And seeing me, ofc. I bet you're looking forward to that too. 😉

Me: I know u are more.

Chris: Wahtevr. See you tomorrow in camp, loser.

I smiled to myself and placed my phone back on the table.

"What are... you doing..." The dark, curly haired man next to me rolled over and grunted.

"Uh, you know. Can't sleep before a camp. The usual." I responded quickly, keeping my back towards him.

"Mhmm," Serv mumbled, leaning over and snaking his arm around my torso, drawing me back into the bed. "I can't sleep either."

"I can make us some coffee if you want." I bit my lower lip as his grip tightened, turning me towards him.

"I don't want coffee." He said, pushing his lips on mine. Tasted like beer. Making myself kiss him back, I waited until he finally pulled away. "We never see eachother anymore."

"Yeah, well. Work and all." I feigned a smile and tried to swing my legs over the side of the bed.

"Come on, come here..." Serv leaned over and pulled me back down, throwing his lips onto mine. "It's been so long." He hovered over me, barely giving me a moment to breathe through the kiss.

I could tell he wasn't going to let me leave. The stench of alcohol saturated into my mouth and I tried to hide my displeasure. Just imagine he's Christen. Just do it. It will be easier.

~~~

Christen's POV:

Grabbing my suitcase, I rolled it down the walkway and towards my uber. Just three hours.

"Hey, are you there yet?" My favorite raspy voice spoke into the phone and a smile creeped up on my lips.

"Where? I just got to the airport."

"That's where I am."

"Really? Where?" I looked around me hopefully and I heard the younger striker laugh into the phone.

"You may be hot, you know. But you're not that bright." Alex said a little quieter.

"Bright? What do you mean, like a lightbulb? Why would you compare me to a lightbulb?"

"Oh god, just turn around you moron."

Smiling, I spun around and sure enough, a few feet behind me was Alex, laughing and putting her phone back into her hoodie's pocket. She looked just as gorgeous as I remember, maybe even more so. Running up to her, I hugged her tighter than possible and I felt her wince slightly. "Everything okay?" I whispered softly, drawing back while keeping my arms around her neck. "What is that?" I said again and Alex looked down as I touched a pale, fading bruise under her right eye.

"Nothing, nothing." Alex looked sad for a moment and then flashed me a fake smile, pulling me in for another hug.

"Obviously not nothing." I replied matter-of-factly. But I dropped the subject as a group of preteens ran up to us.

"Alex Morgan?! Christen Press!! Oh my god."

"Can we get a picture?"

Alex gave them a toothless smile and nodded. "Of course."

As we took a picture with a fifteen year old, Alex and I stood on opposite sides, our arms crossing over the girl's shoulders, interlocking. I heard the other kids whispering. "They're definitely together. Look at them. Chrislex is sooo real."

Rolling my eyes, I remained stoic until we eventually walked away from the group. "Do you ever get worried, Alex?"

"About what."

"About people. About what they think. Think of me." I looked at her momentarily as we loaded our stuff into the back of our awaiting towncar. "Think of us."

"Of us? What about us?" Alex responded lightly, getting into the car.

I followed her, glancing at the driver shortly before back at her. "What if it hurts us? Our careers?"

"Our careers?" Alex smiled. "The only thing that affects your career is how you play the game, Christen. If I let people determine my self esteem, I'd have none." She said and I looked away, but she put her hand on my shoulder, causing me to look back at her. "Why are you worried? It's not like there's any truth to it. It's not like we're a thing."

I felt a small pang in my stomach and my jaw clenched involuntarily. "A thing? Like together? Ha, what a good joke. Right?" I laughed forcefully.

"Right." Alex chuckled, squeezing my shoulder. "Like, you know. I have... Serv. And you have your dogs, see? Not a thing."

"Not a thing." I replied. "No, you know what? What are you talking about? Not a thing? Not a thing?" I whispered angerily, leaning closer to her in the backseat. "You told me a few months ago you liked me. You said it was for certain."

"I told you..." Alex bit her cheek. "I was gay. That doesn't mean I wanted to be with you. I just wanted to fuck with you. You knew I was in a relationship."

"Yeah, like you're real happy. Fucking euphoric aren't you."

"Maybe I am."

"That's what the bruise under your eye says. That's what your wince when someome touches you or yells at you says. That's what your medication says. That's what your eyes say, right?" I looked directly at her, even though she attempted to avoid eye contact.

Before she could respond (even though I don't think she was going to) the driver twisted around. "Um, here. Good luck at your games, ladies." From the constipated look on his face, I knew he heard everything. After looking at Alex one more time, I basically jumped out of the car. Not a fucking thing at all.