Chapter 5

Ataraxia: a state of freedom from emotional disturbance, and anxiety; tranquility

My nerves returned once I turned into the parking lot. Kids in perfectly fit uniforms sat on cars and at picnic tables. I could feel their eyes burning into me, studying the fresh meat. I kept my stare straight ahead and pulled into the first available parking spot that I saw.

I sat in my car for a while, just staring at the people around me. It was weird because my car was one of the fanciest cars there. I was surrounded by beat-up Subarus, Mini-vans, and old Lexus'. I opened the door and stepped out, slinging my backpack over my shoulder. The school kids' wintry stares were burning into me.

There was something about this that was so surreal. Every kid here was gorgeous in some form or way. Their hair was brushed perfectly and styled. Their uniforms hugged them, outlining their curves and muscles. The girls' makeup was something out of a magazine. They were all prepossessing.

My walk to the front doors was a long nightmare. Every time my boot heel clicked on the ground, I winced. I knew they were watching me take every slow step up the stairs. It was only five minutes but felt like a blazing twenty. The large glass doors were bright and welcoming. Shrubbery pressed up against the walls, bouncing in the wind. The flowers smiled up at the sun.

I swung open one door and quickly rushed in, nearly getting hit by the heavy door. The entry room was large and comfy. Couches were rested here and there, with walls decorated with paintings. An office was off to the left and I went there immediately.

A woman in a gray pantsuit greeted me with a big coruscant smile. I didn't have to say anything and she was already clicking away at her keyboard. She rolled over to the printer as she waited for my schedule to print.

"It is really unusual for someone to join mid-semester. I'll bet you everyone is surprised," she chirped.

"Yeah," I murmured, it wasn't like they were all ruthlessly staring at me.

"How are you doing?" She asked over the loud sound of the printing machine.

"Just peachy," I smiled, keeping all sarcasm out of my voice. She nodded and pulled out one paper and then another. She handed both to me, showing off her long, perfectly manicured nails with a flourish.

"This is a map and your schedule. We hate for new students to struggle to find their room."

She winked at me and waved as I nodded. I walked away staring at the map. My first class was in room 203b, which was on the second floor. I wasn't good at reading maps, but I managed to find the stairs. I climbed up them and went in search of my room. Students dotted the hallways, whispering and laughing to each other.

Some passed knowing glances my way and then would murmur something to their friend. I immediately noticed that there were no lockers, just mural-covered walls. Windows were every ten feet. This school screamed open and art.

I found the room and walked in. There were only a few students seated at the desks. A male teacher fumbled around underneath his desk, grumbling angry curses. I walked over and stood there nervously for a second.

"Sir?"

He jumped up, bumping his head against the bottom of the desk, "Jesus Christ!"

He sat back and stared at me, brown eyes narrowed angrily for a second. His head was bald with a ring of hair around the bottom of his head. He was chubby with thick-rimmed glasses resting on his large nose.

"I'm new here, my name is Serap-"

"Seraphina Swelski!" He cried, "welcome to Eclectic Academy!"