Chapter one: morning cig

My first killjoy fic, Hoping it will get a few reads, I'm happy to hear any input on whether or not you like it, tell me what you think, and yerp.

Chapter One, Morning Cig

~Sophie~

"Sophie how could you just leave us all like that? You know dad is worried. Mom is in tears. You need to come back... I can promise no one will glaze you. Just come back."

My brother said, his voice gruff and scratchy from yelling through the walkie-talkie. "No. This is the life I chose. The sharpest lives." I could hear my brother's sigh through the small device.

"We have your sober pills Soph. They're all yours. Just come back. Come smile with the family."

"No!" I screamed, trying to shake the idea of the pills from my mind, so addicting, so nice... no pain.. no sorrow... no love, only a nice little smile.

I jolted upright in my cot, my short, white hair falling in my face in a sweaty heap. Another nightmare. This had to stop at one point. It'd been years. Years since my mind has been glazed with BLI's brainwashing crap. I coughed, my tired lungs protesting the action, and began to paw at the floor until my hand touched my glasses. I slid them on my nose and stood up brushing off the dust that had gathered on me during the night.

"Good morning all you motor babies" I heard a familiar voice sing threw my radio. I smiled and picked up a power pup from a pile and opened it, not bothering to cook the foul substance, knowing it wouldn't improve the taste. I grabbed a water as I sat and listened to the morning news. "Dracs up in Zone 2. Watch out Killjoys", Dr. D boomed through the small box. I should avoid it. I didn't need any trouble today. I looked around pondering on what I should do today. I had all the supplies I needed. My current hide-out was a one room shack that I had found. It was small, but had all I needed.

I lived in it for about.... two months? It was hard to count the days properly in the desert. I should scout out a new hiding hole. It wasn't safe to live anywhere too long.

With a heavy yawn, I rummaged through a pile of cigarette boxes until I found a box that wasn't empty and walked out into the desert letting the full heat of the sun hit me. Pulling a lighter from my pocket, I lit the cig and breathed in the smoke. A bad habit I picked up, but I couldn't resist. Letting my eyes scan the horizon, I saw just how high the sun was. I had slept in, the sun was almost nearly at high noon.

With another deadly breath, I took in more of the cigarette. It was calming, helped me think. I kept looking out at the desert trying to remember what it was like before the fire, before... I could hardly think the name of the damned company. Bastards.

After a long sweep of what was around me, my eyes landed on my bike. An old BLI cycle scarecrows used. But when someone killed the bitch, the bike was left. I had painted it with my signature red heart line across the side, leaving the rest white. Simple and perfect.

"What to do..." I mused "... What to do" I took another puff on the cig, disappointed to find it had burnt to the filter. I flicked it into the sand and sighed. I need to go get more.

I walked back into my small house and grabbed my deep red leather jacket, throwing it over my shoulder as I grabbed my brothers watch and strapped it to my wrist. "Ko-" I stop myself from saying his name. He had left. He knew where I was. If he wanted BL/ind he could have them.

I grabbed my gun, also white with a red heart line. I left the "lovely" BLI label showing though. It gave me a little more pride to kill the Dracs with their own gun.

I walked back out to my bike. I guess it was time to move on, find somewhere new. Maybe a new crew... no.. no. No more killjoys would get dusted on my watch.

I rode for what left like hours. I entered into Zone 3, passing other killjoy bases and looked for one that was empty. Nothing. I just kept riding.

The engine on my bike roared as it jumped dune after dune. I loved the feeling. As I drove faster, the world sped by. I looked at a hand-made sign, "Zone 6", in simple black paint. I sped up. Prime killjoy territory. This is where the Fabulous Four's base, and Dr. D were.

I pushed my bike to go faster. I stopped paying attention to where I was going. I knew the desert like the back of my hand and had no fears riding through it. I looked up at the sun. It was around mid day. I had a few hours to keep riding before I had to go back... I would need fuel to soon.

After what felt like an hour, I began to slow down. I was getting a feeling of where I was. I needed to start heading home soon. Maybe I could stop by a gas stop and get more cigarettes, and possibly a beer.

A loud explosion stopped my train of thought. I skidded my bike around and headed towards the sound. There were flames soaring high above the horizon.. Why is it always fire? Can't they do anything better?!