Twelve: The Past

Jeff knocked on Cecile's door and waited, watching Dan slyly slip away. It always amused him how people seemed to think he didn't notice anything. He had noticed that Dan wanted his phone for contacting Lisa, and was trying to slip away unnoticed, but had ended up doing so rather conspicuously.

He shook his head and knocked again. He heard the sound of running feet and waited. The door was opened abruptly by a clutzy maid, with a sheepish, freckled face.

"Is Cecile home?" Asked Jeff.

The woman shook her head, and in a high pitched voice said, "The miss will be back in 15 minutes. Do you want to wait inside?"

Shoot. He should have warned her that he was coming. No point going back now.

"Ah, I'll wait," he said with a smile.

She lead him to the sitting room and looked up at him with a smile.

"Can I get you coffee?"

"No, thank you."

"Do I get you tea then? I didn't think there were any youngsters who drank tea!"

"No, I don't want anything to drink."

"Juice then?"

Jeff sighed, "I'll have the coffee."

The woman nodded with a large smile, and rushed out of the room. Jeff looked up at the ceiling, thinking about their mystery lost girl.

It could be that she had gone and disappeared herself, but for what reason? If the theory that she was out on revenge was true, it had to have something to do with Elaine and Ashley. But even so, why were the townsfolk so quick in blaming her disappearance on the Elaine and Ashley? They would have been just about sixteen at the time it happened, and people wouldn't blame two minors unless they really had something or they were just hated in general.

He looked back down as he heard the pattering of footsteps towards him. It was the maid, with a large mug of coffee. He took the mug and thanked before taking a sip. It was wonderful.

"The coffee is great," he said smiling at the woman. She nodded, but waited there, without saying much. He quietly sipped his coffee without saying anything, as she stood there looking at him awkwardly.

"You were here last time, weren't you," she said, at length "talking about the Agatha's girl?"

"You know Ashley?"

"No, I used to know Agatha," she said with a reminscent smile, "we used to work together then, at the Redwood Mansion."

"Oh, that's great," said Jeff, taking a sip, "I'm writing a book about Ashley's life, could you tell me anything about her life as a child?"

"Yes, I heard that she passed recently when you were here last time."

Jeff didn't say anything, waiting for her to continue.

"Ah, Agatha was always a tyrant when it came to the girl. Way too strict. Poor thing used to hate it."

"It was always like that, eh?"

"Of course," she said with a sigh, "but I think that's what turned her a rebel."

"Rebel?"

"Ya, at home she would be a good little girl, and outside," she paused, "outside, she always had to have her way."

That sounded like the Ashley he knew, but Jeff waited without comment, sensing that there was more to come.

"Everyone knew that she liked that Gavin, and she just wanted him."