Twenty one: Shock

"Why did you call Martha?" Demanded Nancy, hands on hips, glaring at Lisa.

Lisa shuffled uncomfortably on Nancy's bed, and sighed. "I'm trying to make friends, I guess."

"But with Martha? Really?"

"I've got nothing against her, okay?"

Nancy shook her head and sat down beside Lisa. Lisa shifted away from her uncomfortably.

"Lisa, when you said we were going to have this night out, I was planning something."

"What?"

"Can you promise you won't judge me?" She asked, with wide eyes, looking at Lisa.

"Yeah, sure."

"Lisa, Elaine thinks I'm her best friend."

"Aren't you?"

"Yeah! Yeah, I am!"

"But?" Lisa prodded her. She seemed to be unsure but after some contemplation, she spoke again.

"I like her. Not just as a friend." She was looking down at her fingers, wringing them together.

Lisa's eyes widened. "Why haven't you told her?"

"I think she's homophobic."

Lisa mind wandered back to the time she had seen her with Nigel. How awkward they had seemed together.

"Then Nigel?"

"A decoy. He's my best friend. Our soccer team gives hell to guys who aren't straight."

Lisa nodded. She seemed sincere and Lisa wanted to help her out. This girl, she didn't seem so evil, anymore. Hating the diet meals her mom made her, eating greasy burgers, Coloring her hair crazy, being nervous about crushes. She seemed so normal. Was she even capable of causing harm?

"Lisa!" Nancy was pulled out of her thoughts.

"Have you at least tried telling Elaine?"

"Yes, I have. Again and Again. She just assumes it's a friendly thing. The last time was just a month ago."

"A month ago?"

"Yeah. There was this clearance sale at the mall. We had amazing fun. And then we spent all night together. We watched a movie and ate and we both went to her place. Watched more movies." She smiled a little, thinking of it.

"The entire night?"

"Yes! We fell asleep on the couch, at around 5AM."

Lisa looked at Nancy, her mouth slightly open, lost in thought.

"Hey, Lisa," said Nancy, bringing her back, "So, I thought you would give me some lone time with her. But it's difficult with Martha around."

"Sure! Take all the time you need. I'll take care of Martha." Said Lisa quickly and left the room. That kind of put a pin on her plans to investigate Elaine, but she figured she could try and squeeze something out of Martha. She seemed eager to trash talk Elaine anyway, from what she'd heard of her.

Then suddenly, something struck her.

She was leaning against the banister of the staircase leading up to the room. Lisa quickly swept a gaze around her to make sure Lisa was still inside her room and
called the one person she didn't want to.

"Did I say you could call me?" Said Jessica irritably.

"Jessica, please. I need your help."

A sigh. "What is it?"