Prologue

Lisa and Daniel slowly walked side by side, looking away from each other.

Lisa didn't know how to break the uncomfortable silence which had replaced their usual cheery conversation. She told herself to just look at the surroundings- to try and forget the awkwardness surrounding them. She just had to stay occupied till they reached Ashley's house.

Her line of thought was broken by a warmth enveloping the palm of her hand. She looked down to find that Dan was holding it in his. His cheeks were slightly flushed and his head was turned away in embarrassment.

"What does this mean?" she asked nervously.

"It means that I like you, douchebag." he said, turning to her and flashing a smile at her, his cheeks turning a shade darker.

Lisa laughed uncontrollably. It sounded too funny to be true. Was it a dream?

Daniel held her head in his hands to steady her. Her laughter subsided into nothingness as she looked into the pools of Hazel that were staring right back at her.

She felt Daniel's lips on hers and suddenly felt like she was going to burst out of too much happiness.

There really are sparks!

Much as she loved the feeling, she pushed him off.

"We're getting late for school. We have to get to Ashley's place."

He put on a grumpy face, but let her go anyway.

They walked down the rain damp streets while keeping light conversation and trying to ignore the sudden beating of their hearts till they reached a small two storey house with a disproportionately large garden.

On reaching the door, Lisa knocked the door softly. Something already felt out of place. The mother, Agatha, would usually open the door at the sound of approaching footsteps. They would sit at the table and have pancakes while Ashley took her time getting ready. Lisa knocked again, this time, harder.

When there was still no response, Dan went ahead and pounded on the door with both his fists. As if on que, the door swung open, and Agatha stood on the other side, her face pale and her breath haggard and raspy. Her eyes seemed swollen and bloodshot.

"What is it?" Asked Dan, in panic.

"Agatha- she's- she's- her room-" and the words broke into heavy sobs, as tears rolled down her cheeks.

Startled, Lisa pushed aside and ran inside, heading straight up the staircase, to Ashley's. The sight was terrifying. With a shriek, she turned away, tears falling down her cheeks, but what she had seen was already etched into her memory.

Ashley's limp body was hanging by the neck from the ceiling, her dark, wavy hair covering her face. Her body was covered in wounds and scars. Blood had dripped down to her finger tips and formed a clotted pool on the floor.

Her best friend was no more.