Fifteen: Group

There were still traces of pink on Lisa's cheeks, as she sat dressed in her own clothes, nibbling at her slice of pizza. Dan wasn't any better, with his ears burning brightly. He didn't look up from the ground even as he spoke.

In this situation, Jeff decided to clear his throat, and make the two unhappy souls look up at him.

"So, I want everything clear, before we can do whatever's next." He said with a shrug, and as an afterthought, he added, "I really want to avoid sudden revelations, like at the café."

Lisa nodded, "I should have told you before."

Jeff turned to look at her and waited, as she picked on her pizza.

"My birth name is Alisha Sharma," she said softly, "I am half Indian. Until last year, I was at an orphanage in India."

"And, how did you end up here?" Asked Jeff.

"Mrs Channing- mom- came to the place, Kodai, for a holiday. She liked me a lot, so she adopted me."

"She liked you?"

"I was exceptionally brilliant. I always got noticed for it."

"Exceptionally brilliant?"

"Let me give you an example," said Lisa, looking Jeff in the eye, "I was in India for 17 years of my life- and yet you never found a trace of my Indian accent."

"That's true!"

"It slipped out on the first few days, didn't it?" Asked Dan, "Ashley said so."

"I was nervous, I was ashamed of my diction" said Lisa, "that's why it was so difficult to get me to speak back then."

"Wow," said Jeff, "Any more shockers?"

"High school is a formality," she said with a laugh, "I have an IQ of 180. I'm just going to school to please Mom."

"Show off," murmured Dan, under his breath.

"Don't tell me you never noticed my grades," said Lisa, looking at him with a raised eyebrow.

"I just thought you were a nerd."

"Back on point, guys," said Jeff, "So your mom never told you about her daughter."

"I do know that she disappeared," she replied, "I was told to be very ambiguous about my real identity, if asked by anyone, and also, I wasn't to talk about her in third person."

"But why?"

"I'm not sure," said Lisa, "but I think it might be a precaution on their part, to show the world that nothing can happen to the Channing heiress."

"But you haven't even made a public appearance."

"That was my own request- I need some time before shouldering the responsibility. I have met with some friends and family, though."

"Is it possible for you to find out what really happened with the Channing girl?"

"I can try," said Lisa, "But I can't promise anything."

Lisa really wanted to know too, but she couldn't bear to hurt the woman who had so willingly taken her under her wing, and showered her with the love and affection that she had not known before. She let out a sigh. She had tried asking before, but the tense, sad look on her Mom's face had deterred her from pursuing it any further.

"Hey, Lisa," asked Jeff, "I know it's prying too much, but could you tell us about your life before you were adopted?"

The question caught her off guard. It wasn't a very sensational story. It had happened way before she remembered anything, so it didn't affect her, but it was something she never understood. There were still too many unanswered questions- but she saw no harm in sharing the story. After all, to build trust, you have to share it too.