XXVIII.

Viola could hear Scarlet swaying against her will. The violence that Momsen released upon her body. She could hear the taunts, and even Scarlet's tears. But her sister was as stubborn as ever, refusing to back down. A small part of Viola wanted to rush in and protect her from Momsen. Both his fists and his words.

But then she would breathe in and smell cinnamon and she would simply feel disconnection from the situation. Stoker placed a hand on her lower back, "Are you ready?"

His touch should have sent crawling spiders up her spine. The shadows of memories haunted the edge of her thoughts. The agony that had possessed her body. The ripping of her mind. The way he had taken advantage of her body, mind, and soul. She wondered if it had been a year, a few days, an hour, or maybe a century. Time had been warped and she was lost inside the maze of her mind. Instead his touch was almost comforting.

Viola sighed heavily, grabbing the handle and pushing the door open. She knew that her sister would be baffled and maybe even hurt to see her next to Stoker. But this was the smartest decision. She could see that now. Stoker had made sure that she understood. She shivered again, remembering his lessons. She pushed the memories aside, instead listening to Momsen whispering to Scarlet though his voice was just too low for her to understand his exact words.

Stoker's hand stroked her hair. Viola leaned into him slightly at the touch. He came close so that his warm breath tickled her cheek, "You know what you have to do. Don't you, luna mea?"

"I do," a sliver of Viola protested furiously against this. But she simply inhaled, letting her thoughts become clear. She had to do this. It was the only thing she could do to help her sister.

"Remember how you have to do it?" Stoker asked her.

"Drain her entirely. Use my blood to make the wounds close. Momsen's men will do the rest," Viola answered dully, her emotions carefully locked behind a padlocked door.

"Good, and why are you doing this?" she resisted the urge to close her eyes with his soothing voice.

"Because Scarlet will be happy in the end," Viola whispered. "I'm protecting her."

"That's right, luna mea. You're so smart and such a good sister," Stoker said quietly.

She smiled gently, listening to Momsen lower Scarlet to the ground. The man walked past her, Stoker resting his hand on her shoulder. He knew that her protective instincts made her naturally have aggression towards Momsen. Once Momsen left the room, Stoker followed after. He gave her shoulder a reassuring squeeze. Silence enveloped the room. Viola listened as Scarlet struggled to her to her feet. The girl then limped for a few feet before coming a halt Viola waited for a moment before walking over to her.

She could hear Scarlet's surprisingly steady heartbeat. Sadness rolled off of her in thick waves. There was also the slightest hint of fear. Viola stopped only a few inches from her. Scarlet was talking, her voice soft and like water. Rolling off of Viola's skin. She placed her hands on Scarlet's shoulders. Her sister flinched and Viola reacted by digging her claws into Scarlet's skin. The whimper that she released made guilt blossom in Viola's chest. A tiny voice inside of her whispered, "Don't do it, don't do it."

But Viola could still taste the cinnamon at the roof of her mouth and she knew what she had to do. She parted her jaws, sinking her fangs into Scarlet's delicate flesh. Her blood was warm as it filled Viola's mouth. There was the taste of iron obviously, but there was also a strange sensation that was borderline burning. Like Scarlet's blood was carbonated, or on fire. It was filled with life and energy, and as it flowed through Viola she felt the hum of power. She wondered idly if this was how all dragon riders tasted. She could get used to this. It was addicting.

"I love you," Scarlet whispered, her voice breaking through Viola's trance. "I'm not afraid of you."

The words were a punch in the gut. With a gasp, Viola broke away, stumbling. She heard Scarlet hit the ground limply, but she didn't care. Bruce's voice filled her ears, "I'm afraid for you."

This whole time, she had thought he had been afraid of her. But no, he had been afraid for her. And Scarlet wasn't afraid of her either. She had killed him; she had been about to kill her. How could they forgive her? How could this happen? Viola was gasping, choking on air that she didn't need. She realized that she was on the ground. She couldn't understand and was completely baffled. How could they be afraid for her? How could they still care for her? Viola gasped, the scent of cinnamon once more coating her tongue. She could hear the haunting whisper of Stoker in her ear. She slapped her hand over her mouth, struggling to hold back the desire.

Scarlet still loved her... Scarlet did not hate her. Not yet, and even if she did later, Viola could not bring herself to end it now. If she hated her later, let her.