Prologue

Orla detatches a clingy Dexter from her leg and points him towards the other toddlers in the nursery. "See you soon, Dee, Mummy loves you" she cheerfully tells him and turns to leave, just a second too slowly and hears him wimper. Squaring her shoulders "Orla Young, you are 29 years old, you deserve a few hours alone" she whispered to herself.

For Orla this was difficult, leaving Dexter at nursery was very difficult, especially as Dexter had heart operation at 6 weeks old and it made her want to cling to him as tightly as he did to her. She and Dexter were inseparable apart from her cleaning job, she and him did everything together even slept in the same bed every night.

The cleaning job was soley to keep her employed and prevent a gap in her CV until she could return to her career as a personal assistant to the rich and famous. They needed to see 'hard worker' when reading her CV, not the 'unemployed' label she feared. While Dexters dad provided financially it was made clear that would be the start and finish of his involvement with Dexter. Even while a newborn Dexter was poorly in hospital his dad seemed more concerned with keeping his existence from his family. Apparently having a child with your PA was not something to discuss with your nearest and dearest.

Orla hated the 'them and us' mentality James developed, that only seemed to rear its ugly head with James after Dexter was conceived. If she had realised how utterly repulsive dating 'the staff' was to James, she would have never accepted his advances.

What was done, was done. Dexter was a wonderful boy and the apple of Orla's eye. Now Orla had to cycle to the first apartment ready to fill the gap in her CV until she and dexter was ready to return to the 'them and us' world.