8: A Sudden Switch

—SQAISHEYS POV—
After our encounter last night, I felt awkward about seeing David. We almost kissed... I almost cheated on Joe..
All of today David never came out of his room, it was 4 o'clock, it hadn't occurred to Joe but I was beginning to get worried about him. He hadn't even made a sound or any indication that he was in the house.
"Let's go out." Joe said, wrapping an arm around my shoulder as we sat on the sofa.
"Where?" I asked, looking out the window at the skyscrapers all around.
"Shopping? Just about town, come on- the city is the best at night." He said, I smiled at him. "Alright." I said, grabbing my purse.

Then Joe shouted into David's room.
"Dave?! Beth and I are going out." Joe called, but there was no response.
"Dave?"
Joe walked into his room then quickly shut the door behind him, I was immediately worried.

—STAMPYS POV—
I walked into Squids bedroom to see him in lying in this bed in tears, I quickly shut the door behind me and ran over to him.
"Mate- Mate what happened what's wrong?" I asked, completely unsure what to say or do, id never seen him cry before.
Tears streamed from his red eyes, he was trying to speak but he couldn't. He ran over to his ensuite where I assumed he was sick.
"Mate.. please tell me what's going on." I asked, sitting on his bed, I looked to his white pillows which were tear stained, and then to his phone.
"Book me a flight from JFK to Heathrow." Moaned Squid, "use m-my card."
I walked into his bathroom to see him lying against a wall, he was obviously in a lot of shock.
"Hey.. hey slow down.." I told him, trying to slower his breathing.
"T-Tom.." he began, tears dripping from his eyes, "h-he was in a car crash last night a-and h..he.." David took a breath, "he d-died." He broke down again, even I was in shock now. I buried him in my arms and hugged him, unsure how I could comfort him when his brother had died.
"I- I told him so many times to get a new car- I told h-him."
I hugged him harder,
"Oh god mate I'm so sorry.." I told him, my eyes beginning to water, "I- I'm so so sorry."
David sniffed, standing up, "I need to- I.. you- you and Beth go out tonight I'll be fine." He said, lost.
My eyes widened and I shook my head, "No. No."
"Please this is my problem I can deal with it I.. I'll book a flight for tomorrow morning..." he began,
"This is my problem too. Tom was a great friend.. I- I'll come with you."
"Y-you don't have to.."
"Yes I do." I explained, a tear fell from my eye. Even I was sad.
I walked him back into his bedroom where he lay down on his bed.
"I never told Tom h-how much I appreciated him... I- I.."
"Dave.. shhh.. none of this was your fault.. you just need some sleep, okay? I'll check in on you in a couple hours."
"I appreciate you Joe.. you're the best mate I've got and I- i should probably tell you that more often."  He whimpered, his hand wiping the tears from his eyes.
"You don't have to mate." I told him, "I'll book the flights now.."
He blankly smiled before covering his eyes with his hand, I walked over him again and whispered in his ear, "I appreciate you too."

—SQAISHEYS POV—
When Joe walked out of David's room I could tell he was shaken.
"W-what happened?" I asked him, a tear fell from his eye and he made a fist in front of his mouth.
I hugged him, unsure what else to do, he looked like he needed it.
"D-David's brother died.. h-he was my friend too.. car crash.. we're going back to London tomorrow morning... I'm sorry."
"God. Don't be.. I'm sorry.." I told him, looking down. "I- I can go back to my place and leave you two alone." I said, standing up.
"N-no you don't have to.."
"I think that you two need to be alone, for the best: David needs you." I told him, not being able to contemplate how bad David must be feeling.. he was almost kissing me while his brother was killed in a car crash..
"T-thank you." Said Joe with a hint of surprise, walking me to the door.
"Be safe- call me when you're back in New York." I said, kissing Joe on the lips.
"I love you." He told me. I was shocked by that, but I said it back.
"I love you too."
He kissed me again, running his fingers through my hair before he hugged me, this made me begin to like Joe so much more, and feel worse for wanting to kiss his best friend.
Joe had feelings, real hard feelings. He cared so much for his friend, and I really liked that about him.
But when I thought about David all I could think of was that he needed someone with him, I should have been there. We shouldn't have touched, we never should have left our rooms last night.. but then I thought about Christmas Day, almost two months ago, when I was so charmed by him, and when he kissed my hand.. we will have to tell Joe one day.. but not today, not anytime soon.